HENRY PHILLIPS

A Veterinary Surgeon and Veterinary Inspector for the Borough of Ipswich and secretary for the Suffolk troop of Legion of Frontiersmen.

 

Born: 1855, Monks Eleigh, Suffolk.

 

Father: George Canning Phillips, born 1830, Colchester, Essex, baptised 29th June 1830, at St. Mary the Virgin at the Wall Church, Colchester. Like his father, William Phillips, George was a Veterinary Surgeon. George died 14th December 1901, Monks Eleigh, Suffolk.

Mother: Frances Elizabeth Phillips (nee Wright (1st marriage Blomfield)), born 1837, Monks Eleigh, Suffolk. Frances Phillips died 1918, Mildenhall, Suffolk.

 

CENSUS

 

1871   High Street, Halstead, Essex.

 

Henry was 17 years old, a Draper’s Assistant. He was boarding at the home of his employer 40 year old, Robert Sach, a linen draper, and his family.

 

1881   12, Friars Street, St. Nicholas, Ipswich.

 

Henry was 27 years old, a Veterinary Assistant. He was a Lodger at the lodging house of 69 year old, Elizabeth Darkin.

 

1891   17, Crown Street, St. Mary le Tower, Ipswich.

 

Henry was 37 years old, a Veterinary Surgeon and Livery Stables – own account – employer. He was married and head of the household.

Sarah, 30.

Daisy, 6.

Frances, 5.

2 female domestic servants.

1 groom.

 

1901   Holly Lodge, Bramford Lane, All Saints, Ipswich.

 

Henry was 47 years old, a Veterinary Surgeon – employer. He was married and head of the household.

Sarah, 40.

Daisy, 16.

Frances, 15.

1 female domestic servant.

 

1911   Holly Lodge, Bramford Lane, All Saints, Ipswich.

 

Henry was 57 years old, a Veterinary Surgeon and Livery and Shoeing Establishment – employer. He was married and head of the household.

 

On the 25th April 1883, at St. Matthew’s Church, Ipswich, by the Reverend Granville Smith, Henry married Sarah Maria Singleton, born 29th May 1860, Ipswich, baptised 2nd October 1861, at St. Matthew’s Church – eldest daughter of William and Sarah Singleton, of The Beeches, 308, Norwich Road, Ipswich.

 

Father: William John Singleton, born 1819, Beccles, Suffolk. William was an Ironmonger, of 11 & 13, Butter Market, Ipswich – own account. He died 30th May 1905, of The Beeches, 308, Norwich Road, Ipswich. Laid to rest at Ipswich Old Cemetery, Section F.

 

Mother: Sarah Singleton (nee Orris), born 1828, St. Matthew’s, Ipswich. Sarah died 15th May 1915, of The Beeches, 308, Norwich Road, Ipswich. Laid to rest with William, at Ipswich Old Cemetery, Section F.

 

Sarah and Henry had 3 daughters:

 

Daisy Kathleen Phillips, born 26th April 1884, Bucklesham. In 1913, Ipswich, Daisy married Alfred Frank Castle, a Veterinary Surgeon, born 21st April 1884, Southtown, Little Gorleston, baptised 10th August 1884, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk. Daisy and Alfred had 2 children, and made their home at 14, Museum Street, Ipswich. In 1939, Daisy and Alfred, a Veterinary Surgeon, and a R.A.V.C. Reserve – Lieutenant, were living with sister Frances and widowed mother Sarah at their family home – Villa Farm House, Deben, Suffolk. Alfred Castle died 30th May 1964, of Little Barn, Hasketon, Suffolk. Laid to rest 2nd June 1964, Gorleston Old Cemetery, Norfolk. Daisy Castle died 27th December 1978, of Little Barn, Hasketon. Laid to rest 4th January 1979 with Alfred at Gorleston Old Cemetery.

 

Frances Maud Phillips, born 24th April 1885, Bucklesham. In 1912, Ipswich, Frances married William H. Thomas.

 

Dora Margaret Phillips, born 1887, Bucklesham – died 1888, Ipswich. Laid to rest Ipswich Old Cemetery, Section J.

 

Henry Phillips was a Member of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons. For several years he had been veterinary assistant to Mr. Alfred John Shorten, of 14, Museum Street, Ipswich. Alfred died in 1886, and his son, Alfred Ernest Shorten, a veterinary surgeon continued the business in Museum Street.

 

In April 1887, Henry purchased the Veterinary and Livery Establishment, at 17, Crown Street, Ipswich. The premises lately occupied by Mr. John Lockwood Moyes, a Job Master, who had continued the business established by his late father, John Moyes, who had died in February 1880. Henry made the necessary alterations to the premises so that he could offer ladies and gentlemen a private establishment to put up their horses and traps. Henry continued the livery and bait stables business at 17, Crown Street, until July 1891, when his extensive business premises with paved and covered yards, and his family’s dwelling house was sold by auction on Thursday, 16th July, at the White Horse Hotel, Ipswich, by Robert Bond & Sons.

 

Henry and Alfred Shorten, who held public appointments including chief inspector for the East Suffolk County Council, and inspector for the Ipswich Corporation, became partners in February 1891 and formed the firm of Messrs. Shorten and Phillips, at Museum Street, becoming an extensive town and country practice, a shoeing forge and livery stables and repository for the sale of horses. At the end of February Messrs. Shorten and Phillips were advertising for a well-educated youth as a pupil. Alfred was a very sick man, he suffered from haemorrhage of the lungs, attacks of illness frequently prostrated him, but he was fortunate in having an active and capable partner as Henry Phillips, who relieved him of the weight of responsibility. Alfred Shorten died Monday, 30th November 1896, at his residence “Ardvoulan” Russell Road, Ipswich.

After Henry had seen many years of practise, he became the Veterinary Inspector for the borough of Ipswich. He was often called to give evidence in the courtroom on accidental injuries, and sadly, for neglect, cruelty and abuse of animals. Henry also notified the Executive Committee of the Town Council under the Diseases of Animal Act, of outbreaks of serious and highly contagious animal diseases like foot-and-mouth, anthrax, swine fever, tuberculous and glanders. He would give advice as to what action should be taken and presenting reports to the Town Council.

 

Henry and his family moved to Holly Lodge, Bramford Lane, Ipswich, the former home of William Steggall Peddar and his family. After his death in October 1881, William’s spinster daughters, Sarah, Ellen, Margaret and Florence continued living at Holly Lodge until the late 1890’s.

The Legion of Frontiersmen were formed in 1905, by the novelist Roger Pocock, as a civil self-supporting, self-governing, field intelligence corps. Membership was limited to men of good conduct who had frontier, military, or sea training. Formed to watch over and protect the boundaries of the Empire from invasion. There was no age limit and no medical examination. In February 1908, Ipswich began to form a Legion of Frontiersmen troop, Henry became a member and soon the secretary for military duties and later as other Suffolk towns formed their own troops, he became the chief organiser for Suffolk.

 

Henry’s daughters, Daisy and Frances (in their early 20’s) had excellent horsemanship. Together they were invited to perform their equestrian skills at horticultural shows, and live stock shows and fetes around Suffolk, and fundraising events and fetes on private grounds to football fields for the Boys’ Brigade and the Ipswich Boy Scouts. Henry wearing the workmanlike uniform of the Legion of Frontiersmen, and Daisy and Frances neatly attired in their tailored black riding habits and white coat. Their equestrian display would include riding astride and side saddle, tilting the ring, with sword and lance, lemon slicing, tent pegging and lassoing.

 

Henry died 23rd November 1934, at 28, Burlington Road, Ipswich. Laid to rest in the grave of daughter Dora, at Ipswich Old Cemetery, Section J.

 

Probate to Sarah Maria Phillips – widow and Sydney George Cox – solicitor.

 

Sarah Phillips died 30th May 1943, of 28, Burlington Road, Ipswich. Laid to rest in the grave of her husband and daughter Dora, at Ipswich Old Cemetery, Section J.

 

Probate to Sydney George Cox – solicitor, Daisy Kathleen Castle – daughter and Thomas Singleton, a civil servant.

 

SOURCES:

www.ancestry.co.uk   used for census returns, births, marriages, deaths, probates, military records and other historical online records.

www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

error: Content is protected !!