CHARLES ERNEST TEMPEST

1926-1927

During his Mayoral Year.

A group shot of the councillors, partners and staff.

11th  November 1926.

Rememberance  Sunday service, Christchurch Park. The procession departed from the Town Hall following the laying of wreaths at the Boer War memorial.

A police officer prepares the first wreath.

The Bishop of Suffolk at the Cenotaph.

The Mayors Walk

The Mayors walk is an avenue of trees leading from Fonnereau road through Christchurch Park. Each Mayor plants a new tree and a plaque is place at the tree to commemorate their Mayoral year.

The Mayoress planted an elm tree for the Mayor and the Mayor planted a tree in memory of Mr. V. D. Colchester. (former Mayor).

Ipswich is peculiarly happily endowed with delightful beauty spots in which its citizens may saunter and has every cause for municipal pride in the lower arboretum. The will be enhanced as the years go by and the avenue of Cornish Elms which constitues the Mayors walk flourish into leafy maturity. This walk of memory was yesterday extended. The Mayor (Mr. E.C. Tempest) had his memory perpetuated by planting of another elm, the Mayoress performing the spadework in a fashion which emphasised her own confessed love of gardening. Then the Mayor performed a similar ceremony as, on behalf of the Boy Scouts he planted a tree in memory of a highly respected Mayor of other days, who was closely identified with the Scout movement – Mr. V.D. Colchester. Twenty four Elms now edge the path leading from the entrance gate to the gardens which is a delight at all times, are a picture of loveliness in spring and summer days. This Mayors walk must be surely be unique. The original idea was with Mr. James Mann, the superintendent of the gardens, who is widely known by virtue or his remarkable gardening schemes there which win the admiration of all frequenters townsfolk and visitors alike. In 1925 the thought was to plant an Elm for every Mayor then surviving. Since then the desire caught ground in both senses of the phrase to remember the Mayors who are now no more. During the past year five elms have been planted in memory of deceased Mayors. An Iron table tells of the name of the Mayor and the year they held office. A few years hence the Mayor Walk must inevitably will be an avenue for admiration. Ceremony has not been associated with these plantings. The Mayor arrived on Wednesday morning with his Mayoress also Miss Tempest and Mr. F.L. Tempest. Mr. Maun presented the Mayoress with a spade. Having planted the first elm down the left hand side of the avenue, a move was made over to the right, where the Mayor performed his spadework in planting a tree commemorating the year of office of Mr. V.D. Colchester a former District Commissioner of the Boy Scouts. The present District Commissioner  (Capt. Cyril L. Paul) was in attendants, together with Mr. R.W. Smith Chairman of Executive  Committee Ipswich and District of Boy Scouts Association, and Mr. F. Douglas Mumphy, Hon. Secretary.

24th December 1926 Suffolk Chronicle & Mercury newspaper.

 

Mayor of Ipswich at the Rotarian conference service.

Mace bearers, Mayor of Ipswich, MP Ganzoni and councilors processing to St. Mary le Tower from the Town Hall.

25th March 1927 Suffolk Chronicle & Mercury newspaper.

Mayor Inspects C.L.B at Ipswich.

Following the service held at St. Mary Le Tower Sunday which was attended by Ipswich and Winchester companies of the Lads Church Brigade they were inspected by the Mayor of Ipswich Mr. C. E. Tempest, who was accompanied by the Bishop of Edmundsbury  and Ipswich. Lower picture below the St. Nicholas Training Corps Band.

6th May 1927 Suffolk Chronicle & Mercury newspaper.

error: Content is protected !!