DAVID HENRY BOOTH

 

Mayor 1879 – 1880.

 

Member of the Conservative Party.

A member of the established church – Church of England.

David was elected to the Council in 1874 as one of the representatives of the Westgate Ward.

 

Born: 19th December 1829, Brinsley, Nottinghamshire.

Baptised: 8th February 1830, at Eastwood, Nottinghamshire.

 

Father: William Booth, born Selston, Nottinghmshire, baptised 20th November 1793, Selston. A Colliery Agent amongst the large collieries in Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire. William Booth died 3rd May 1863, at Eastwood.

 

Mother: Hannah Booth (nee Widdowson), born 1803, Eastwood, Nottinghamshire, baptised at Eastwood, 1st January 1804. Hannah Booth died 9th August 1869, Eastwood.

 

Siblings:

 

William Widdowson Booth, born 1828, Greasley, Nottinghamshire, baptised 1st May 1828, Eastwood. In June 1856, at St. Pancras, Middlesex, William, a Coal Merchant, married Jane Hadley, born 1834, High Holborn, Middlesex – daughter of George Whittall Hadley, a grocer and Jane Hadley (nee Savitt), of 18, Camden Road North, St. Pancras. They had 7 children. William Booth died 12th November 1876, of Cecile House, Crouch End and of Eastwood, Nottinghamshire

Derbyshire Times –

Saturday, 25th November 1876 – On Friday last the town of Eastwood was a town of mourning when W. Widdowson Booth, Esq., a name which will be long remembered by all classes of society, but especially by the poor and needy, was borne to his last resting place. The highest testimony and honour that can be offered to the dead was here accorded to the deceased gentleman; the inhabitants closed their shops, and there was a general degree of mourning and regret. The first part of the service in the Church, was performed by the Rector of Eastwood, and that over the grave by the Rector of Ilkeston as Grand Chaplain of the Provincial Lodge of Freemasonry of Derbyshire, and many masonic brethren, of which body W. Widdowson Booth was a respected and distinguished member, attended to take part in the solemn ceremony.

After William’s death, his widow Jane Booth, of Arkley Barnet and Eastwood and their son Edwin Booth, of Lincoln Circus, The Park, Nottingham began to trade together as coal merchants under the style of Booth Bros., carrying out business at King’s Cross, Kentish Town, Finchley Road, Holloway Road, Crouch End Hill, South Tottenham, Barnet, Hammersmith, Kensington, Walworth, Clapham, Crystal Palace, Penge, Beckenham, Upper Norwood and at Eastwood, Nottinghamshire and Exeter. Their chief offices were at 15, 17 & 19, Pancras Road, London and local depots at Midland Railway, at Finchley Road, and Midland Railway, of Iverson Road, Kilburn. In September 1893, the business was in trouble and their affairs, assets and deficiencies were heard at the London Bankruptcy Court, where the Official Receiver presided at the first meeting of the creditors of Booth Bro’s, coal merchants. Instructed by the trustee in bankruptcy, on Monday, 13th November 1893, an auction was held at the Midland Coal Depot, Holmes Road, Kentish Town to sell Booth Bros’s 19 cart horses, 63 coal vans, trollies, carts etc., weighing machines, sacks, utensils, office fittings, and other sundries.

Jane Booth died September 1911, Middlesex and laid to rest at St. Mary’s Churchyard, Eastwood.

 

Charles Alfred Booth, born 1832, Brinsley, Nottinghamshire, baptised 16th February 1832, Eastwood. On Sunday, 3rd July 1858, St. Mary’s Church, Eastwood, Alfred, a colliery factor, married Sarah Knight Brown. This being the first marriage in the new church at Eastwood, many of the inhabitants were presented to witness the ceremony by the Rev. Henry Western Plumpre, M.A., rector, Sarah was born 1827, Camberwell, Surrey – youngest daughter of George Brown, an inspector of Army accounts and Ann Frances Brown (nee Gosset) and stepdaughter of Jane Brown, of Chelmsford, Essex. They had 2 children. Sarah Booth died October 1883, Standard Hill, Nottinghamshire. On the 26th November 1895, at St. Pancras Church, Middlesex, Charles, a widower and colliery manager, married Sarah Ann Martin (nee Paddy), a widow, born 1828, Brixton, Surrey – daughter of John Paddy, a corn merchant and Ann Paddy (nee Taylor), of St. Leonard’s, Streatham, London.

In 1871/72 Charles, of 1, East Circus Street, Nottingham became Sheriff of Nottingham, he chaired and presided over many public meetings, and soirées, he also sat on the Nottingham Borough Sessions and was a director of The Nottingham Tramways Company Limited. In March 1860, at the age of 28 Charles, a Coal Factor became a Freemason, first at the Mundy Grove Lodge, at Shipley with his brothers. As he moved around the country, he became a Freemason at the Commercial Lodge, Nottingham, The Watford Lodge, the Nottinghamshire Lodge and at Brooke Lodge, Chingford, Essex. Charles Booth died November 1907, of 1, Woodstock Road, Moseley, Warwickshire.

 

Marianne Booth, born 1841, Greasley, Nottinghamshire. In 1865, Eastwood, Marianne married Henry Martyn Brentnall, born May 1832, Eastwood, a coal merchant. They had 4 children. Henry Brentnall died February 1892, at Oakfield Villa, Willow Road, Balsall Heath, Warwickshire, late of Dunstead House, Langley Mill, Derbyshire. Marianne Brentnall died 1915, Moseley, Warwickshire.

 

On the 5th April 1855, at St. Pancras Old Church, London, David, a book keeper, of St. Pancras married Jane Radford, of St. Pancras. Jane was born 13th August 1833, Kentisbeare, Devon – daughter of Francis Radford (born 1795, Kentisbeare – died August 1857, of St. Georgiana Street, St. Pancras), a carpenter and Mary Ann Radford (nee Pearsey, born 1794, Kentisbeare – died February 1870, Notting Hill, Middlesex), of 9, St. Georgiana Street, St. Pancras.

 

David and Jane had 3 children:

 

Eleanor Marianne Booth, born 1857, Eastwood, Nottinghamshire, baptised 6th September 1857, at Eastwood. On the 27th August 1876, at Sculthorpe, Norfolk, Eleanor married Charles William Horsley, born 1853, Wendling, Norfolk, a miller, corn, seed and coal merchant. Eleanor and Charles had 4 children. Charles was in business with his father Charles, under the style of Charles Horsley & Son. At the end of July 1895, the business arrangement was dissolved by mutual consent, and Charles continued the business as miller, corn, seed, and coal merchant, at Fakenham, Hempton, Sculthorpe and Wendling, in Norfolk, on his own. Charles was also honorary secretary to the River Wensum Preservation Society, and for 19 years he was the chief fire officer for the Fakenham Fire Brigade. He resigned this position in March 1897 when he and Eleanor were leaving the town to move to Langdon Hills’ Essex. Charles, of Langdon Hills, Essex died in October 1918 whilst on a visist to his son Reginald Horsley, of 207, Uxbridge Road, West Ealing. Laid to rest at Kensington Cemetery. Eleanor Horsley died May 1932, of the Isle of Wight, Hampshire.

 

William Henry Booth, born 1861, Eastwood, Nottinghamshire. On the 28th November 1885, at St. Marylebone Church, Middlesex, 23 year old William, a coal merchant, married 26 year old Emily Florence Massey, of 26, Upper Wimpole Street, St. Marylebone. Emily was born November 1858, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire – only surviving child of Hugh Massey (born April 1832, Thrumpton, Nottinghamshire – died March 1903, of London Colney, Hertfordshire), a colliery owner and employer and Stella Massey (nee Green, born 1832, Nottinghamshire – died April 1896, 30, Holland Road, Kensington, Middlesex). William and Emily had no children. William was employed in the coal owners and merchant’s business of his father and his father’s partner Frederick Hyland Fosdick. In February 1887, in consequence of the lamented death of his father, William ceased the connection with Booth & Fosdick, and instead went into partnership with Mr. Margetts Mitchell Mitchell (born 1848, Norfolk), a coal merchant, of Ipswich. Their business carried on under the name of Booth and Mitchell, first at the Old Cattle Market, Ipswich, before moving onto 23, Princes Street, Ipswich. In the late 1888, Margetts and William opened a retail coal business at The Hythe, Colchester, Essex. On the 6th July 1888 William and Margetts moved into offices at King Street, formerly occupied by Booth and Fosdick, keeping the depot and coal yard at Princess Street, adjoining the River Gipping. The appointed Mr. Harry Samuel Steel as manager of their retail coal business at King’s Street. Booth & Mitchell were sole factors, for the Eastern Counties for James Oakes and Co.’s salt-glazed stoneware and sanitary pipes etc. Booth and Mitchell continued their coal factors and merchants and stoneware factors business until April 1907, when their partnership was dissolved by effuxion of time. William continued to trade at King Street, Ipswich as coal factor and retail coal merchant and stoneware factor. Margetts Mitchell continued as a coal factor at Museum Street Chambers, Ipswich.

 

In May 1900, William and Emily moved to Handford Lodge, Ipswich. Handford Lodge had been the home of Mr. Peter Schuyler Bruff, a civil engineer from 1846 until his death in February 1900. His widow moved to Granhams Manor House, at Shelford, Cambridgeshire. One of their first events to be hosted in their recently purchased home was on the 25th July 1900, when William and Emily opened up their picturesque gardens for an “At Home” event, by way of introducing the new rector of St. Matthew’s Church, the Rev. William Edward Fletcher and the recently appointed curate the Reverend Charles de Rocfort Wall.

 

William was known as an avid collector of some standing and of eclectic taste. In 1906, William and Emily were ready to move to a new residence at The Rosery, Cambridge Road, Felixstowe. In April 1906, a 5-day sale of William’s entire collection of articles of virtu was held on the premises of Handford Lodge, by William’s brother-in-law Robert Bond’s family business Robert Bond and Sons, Auctioneers – William’s private collection of china, including Lowestoft China, specimens of needlework, a library of 3,000 volumes, antique and modern furniture, oil paintings, water colours, prints, and porcelain and an entire cellar of wine and choice Port, which could be sampled by appointment. In May 1906, Handford Lodge was sold. Just 3 weeks after his entire estate sale William was back at a sale at the Red House, Ufford, Suffolk. The continued desire of a true collector was in his blood and William made several investments at the sale. A retirement housing complex now stands on the grounds of the former Handford Lodge. The development was built in 2013 and named Booth Court.

 

William Booth died December 1928, Ipswich. Emily Booth died January 1930, of Alandale, Tomline Road, Felixstowe. Both laid to rest at Ipswich Cemetery, section J.

 

Edith Jane Booth, born 31st March 1867, Ipswich, baptised 25th April 1867, at St. Mary At Elms Church, Ipswich. On Wednesday, 28th October 1891, at St. Matthew’s Church, Ipswich, Edith married Robert Beaumont Bond, born 1859, Long Melford, Suffolk. Edith wore a dress of white brocaded satin, trimmed with old Brussels point lace and real orange blossoms, fastened with a diamond star brooch, a gift from Robert. Edith had four young bridesmaids dressed in canary Venetian satin, with old guipure, and had white velvet hats ornamented with swallows – Maud and Winifred Horsley her nieces and Elsie and Olive Bantoft, Robert’s nieces, each bridesmaid wore a gold bracelet with the monogram “R.E.B.,” and carried bouquets of white chrysanthemums tied with yellow ribbon. Edith’s nephew Reginald Horsley was paigeboy, he was dressed in a naval costume. Edith’s mother Jane Booth gave her daughter away, Jane also hosted an “at home” at Boscombe House. Edith’s going-away dress was of dark green corduroy, trimmed with black, she and Robert spent their homeymoon in Devonshire and Cornwall. E.A.D.T. – 29th October 1891

Edith and Robert had 1 daughter, Edith Muriel Bond, born March 1894, Red House, Sproughton, Suffolk.

Robert Beaumont Bond was educated at Ipswich School, after finishing school he became an Estate Agent, Valuer and Auctioneer with the business his father had founded – Robert Bond & Sons, of Old Bank House, 6, Butter Market, Ipswich. The business was favoured with instructions to sell by auctions at Ipswich, Metropoliton Cattle Market, Islington, Woodbridge, Framlingham, Eye and Chelmsford, auctioning cows, heifers, sheep, swine, store beasts, horses, and pedigree Red Poll Cattle. The company could provide experienced drovers to meet trains, covered sheds, grazing land, feed and water for stock arriving previous to day of sale. They could also auction acres of arable and pasture land, agricultural buildings, and agricultural produce, haw, straw and roots and harness, collars, tools, and sundries. They also specialised in household furniture and properties. Robert Bond died in 1915, and as the eldest son Robert became the head of the firm. At the family home of Red House, Sproughton, Robert farmed a considerable acreage of land; he also had a farm at Hasketon, Suffolk, where he kept a small herd of Red Poll Cattle, and under his management had several estates. Robert was a judge of livestock for the Royal Agricultural Society of England, and he also exhibited black pigs, and pigs for bacon. He was also an official auctioneer at the annual sales of the Suffolk Sheep Society, and at the bi-annual sales of the Red Poll Cattle Society. Robert Bond died July 1928, at his home, Red House, Sproughton, Suffolk. Edith Bond died 16th February 1947, at Highwood, Constitution Hill, Ipswich, of Cormac Lodge, 51, Anglesea Road, Ipswich. Both laid to rest at All Saint’s Churchyard, Sproughton, Suffolk.

 

CENSUS

 

1841   Greasley, Nottinghamshire.

 

David was 11 years old and living with his parents & siblings.

William, 45, a Coal Agent.

Hannah, 37.

William, 13.

Charles, 9.

Marianne, 1.

 

1851   Camden Street North, St. Pancras, Middlesex.

 

David was 21 years old, he was a visitor with his 25 year old brother William at the home of 35 year old widow Jane Roberts, an annuitant and her family.

 

1861   Church Street, Eastwood, Nottinghamshire.

 

David was 31 years old, a Coal Factor. He was married and head of the household.

Jane, 27.

Eleanor, 3.

1 house servant.

 

1871   Museum Street, St. Mary at the Elms, Ipswich.

 

David was 41 years old, a Coal Merchant. He was married and head of the household, the Booth family were hosting guests, at their family home.

Jane, 37.

Eleanor, 13.

William, 9.

Edith Jane, 4.

Alfred Froom, 39, born Clapham, Surrey.

Jessie Froom, 30, born Exeter.

Horace Froom, 3, born Paddington, Middlesex.

1 cook.

1 housemaid.

1 nurse.

 

In 1881   David and Jane were away from the family home at Pembridge House, Anglesea Road, St. Matthew’s, Ipswich. Two of their children were at home.

William, 19, a coal merchant.

Edith, 14.

1 governess.

1 cook.

1 parlourmaid.

1 housemaid.

1 under housemaid.

1 kitchenmaid.

 

In 1885, David’s health started to decline, but it was not until towards the end of 1886 that it assumed a serious form. On the 1st September 1886, David was out shooting, it was a very hot day, and the intense heat is thought to have induced the illness which confined him to his chamber at the St. Pancras Hotel, in London. David’s health reached such a low state this his life was at one time despaired of. His own doctor, Doctor George Haynes Hetherington, of 3, Museum Street, Ipswich travelled to London on the 10th November, two days later George considered David okay to bear the journey back to Ipswich. Once at home David gained strength and exhibited signs of rapid improvement. His elevation to the Aldermanic bench of the Ipswich Town Council cheered him considerably. Sadly, over the Christmas week his health once again relapse, and he grew daily weaker, the Booth’s neighbour Doctor Caleb Rose, of Edgehill House, Anglesea Road was called in, and with Doctor George Hetherington were in constant attendance upon David.

David Booth died at 11:25 p.m., Saturday, 22nd January 1887, at his home, Pembridge House, Anglesea Road, St. Matthew’s, Ipswich. The cause of death attributed to heart disease.

On the Friday, 28th January 1887, the funeral cortège left Pembridge House, Anglesea Road, and proceeded via Orford Street, St. Matthew’s, and Mill Street to St. Matthew’s Church. The Mayor of Ipswich Edward Packard, jun., Esq. and Deputy Mayor Benjamin Page Grimsey, Esq. with the Town Crier and Mayor’s Sergeants with draped mace and the Corporation awaited the mourners at the porch and preceded them into the Church. The service was choral throughout and officiated by the Rector the Reverend Francis Haslewood and the Curate the Reverend Arthur Herbert Hayes. After the service the mournful cortège moved slowly through the principal streets of the town, where large numbers of people congregated at various points to watch. Tradesmen either wholly or partially closed their places of business during the progress of the funeral, and a muffled peal was rung from the bells of St. Mary-le-Tower Church. At the Cornhill the Mayor and Corporation left the procession and forming a line on the south side of the roadway, stood bareheaded as the hearse and mourners passed. At the Cemetery, Section J, the coffin was conveyed direct to the grave, which is situate at the extreme Tuddenham Road end of the Cemetery. The coffin was of massive oak, inpolished, with brass furniture. Mr. F. Corder was the undertaker, and the funeral was carried out under his personal superintendence, assisted by Mr. Thomas Harrison. Evening Star – Saturday, 29th January 1887.

 

Probate to Jane Booth, of Pembridge House, Ipswich – widow, and Charles William Horsley – son-in-law, a miller and corn and seed merchant, of Fakenham, Norfolk. Later in October 1894, to William Henry Booth – son, a coal merchant.

 

David was a life governor of the Ipswich and East Suffolk Hospital, on his death he bequeathed £500 to the Ipswich and East Suffolk Hospital for the endowment in perpetuity of a cot to be called “The Booth Cot,” in the children’s wing of the institution.

 

The Ipswich Journal –

Saturday, 9th November 1895 – ST. MATTHEW’S CHURCH, IPSWICH – THE MEMORIAL TO MR. D. H. BOOTH. A handsome oak screen has lately been erected in St. Matthew’s Church, Ipswich, by Mrs. D.H. Booth, in memory of her late husband. It is placed between the two imposts of the chancel arch. It is 12ft. 9in. high from the chancel floor to the top of the cresting, and has a width of 14ft. 4in., the upper portion being wider owing to the fact that the piers of the chancel arch spread at the top by reason of an ancient settlement. The screen is divided into seven bays or compartments, the centre one being wider than the others, and forming the doorway. The six bays flanking the doorway are filled in solid to about 3ft. 8in. from floor with oak panels, having carved and traceried enrichments in the upper part of the panels, and standing upon a solid moulded plinth. Above these panels rise moulded mullions, the four principal ones having buttress on the two faces, and these buttresses terminate at the spring of the arches with crocketed pinnacles. Above these mullions, up to the underside of the cove of the cornice, the screen is filled in with elaborately cusped tracery with carved spandrels, the lower arches being richly crocketed. The cornice consists of a bold cove carved with six angels, three each side of the centre finial, and a folded scroll runs the entire length of the cove, and is supported by the angels; in their hands, between each angel, is a shield bearing a device, all the devices being different, and above the cove is a delicately-carved and enriched on both sides, and every panel, spandrel, and crocket is of different design.

The device on the four shields to the chancel side are the emblems of the crucifixion: – 1st, from the south, sponge and spear; 2nd, crown of thorns and nails: 3rd, ladder, hammer, pincers; 4th, coat and the dice. On the nave side: 1st from the north, the open book sign of St. Matthew; 2nd, J.H.C.: 3rd, monogram of the Virgin Mary; and 4th, of St. Matthew. All the angels vary in design and vesture. There are 102 different spandrels, 97 crockets, 15 finials, and 56 carved cusps. The screen was designed by Mr. John Shewell Corder, architect, of Ipswich, and was carried out by Mr. Fred Bennett, builder, of Ipswich, the carving being executed by Mr. John Groom. A brass plate mounted on oak and placed on the southern impost of the chancel arch, inside the chancel, bears the following inscription: – “The the Glory of God, and in memory of her husband, David Henry Booth, who died at Pembridge House, in this parish, 22nd January, A.D. 1887, this screen was presented by Jane Booth, A.D. 1895.”

 

Jane Booth died 23rd May 1896, at Boscombe House, 65, Anglesea Road, Ipswich.

 

On Wednesday, 27th May 1896, the funeral service was held at St. Matthew’s Church. The service was choral throughout and officiated by the Reverend Francis Haslewood. The coffin was of plain oak with massive brass furniture and conveyed in an open funeral car, which was almost concealed by floral tributes. The funeral arrangements were entrusted to Mr. F. Corder, and were personally superintended by Mr. W.A. Bunn.

 

Probate to William Henry Booth – son, a coal merchant, and Robert Beaumont Bond – son-in-law, an estate agent and auctioneer.

 

Charles and his brother William started in business as colliery proprietors under the title W. and C.A. Booth, and later when David joined them the name was altered to Booth Brothers. This partnership continued until 1863, when Charles Booth seceded, and started in business on his own account. In the 1860’s David had acquired an interest in a shipping coal trade in Ipswich and decided in 1862 to take up residence in the town. He continued the business with his brother William, who took the business in and south of London, while David confined himself to the Eastern Counties’ trade. In 1873 the partnership was dissolved, and William and David continued with their separate districts.

 

On the 22nd November 1873, the “William and John” schooner owned by David, foundered 20 miles off Lowestoft. The vessel of 138 tons, and registered at Ipswich in 1863, had set sail on Monday, 17th November from Seaham, Durham with a cargo of coal, valued at £1,600 for Ipswich. Captain Taylor and the “William and John” crew all survived.

 

In 1874, David and his friend Mr. Frederick Hyland Fosdick (born 1842, Rothesay, Scotland), entered into partnership as coal owners and merchants under the style of Booth and Fosdick, with businesses at Ipswich, London, Peterborough and Norwich. The Norwich offices at Bank Plain and Queen’s Road. In Ipswich the coal office was at King Street and depots at St. Peter’s Dock Wharf, Commercial Road and at Great Eastern Railway Station. Throughout their partnership David and Fred regularly contributed half a ton of best Wallsend coals to the 1st Norfolk (Norwich) Rifle Volunteers as city prizes. They also generously donated to the Seaham Colliery gas explosion which killed 161 men and boys, and nearly 200 horses and ponies on the 9th September 1880. After the death of David Booth, Fred continued the business for a few months still under the style of Booth and Fosdick and hoped for continued support and kindness. On the 30th April 1887 Frederick discontinued the business of Booth and Fosdick and carried on in his own name at the premises at Ipswich (until July 1888) and Norwich. Fred Fosdick died in 1921, at his home in Eastbourne, East Sussex.

In 1874, Mr. George William Bales declined re-election due to of ill health. George had represented the Westgate Ward in conjunction with Mr. Sterling Westhorp, both gentlemen being Conservatives. David became the colleague of Sterling Westhorp. At the election David and Sterling carried the day. After this election David sat uninterrupted for the Westgate Ward until Wednesday, 22nd December 1886, when on the proposition of Mr. John Henry Josselyn, and seconded by Alderman Alfred Winch, he was raised to the Aldermanic bench, to fill the vacancy caused by the sudden death of Alderman Edward Grimwade in November 1886.

Justice of the Peace, Ipswich Session court, the Town Hall.

In 1876 David was appointed by the Lord Chancellor a Justice of the Peace for the borough, in which important capacity he brought sound common sense to bear en the proceedings of the Bench of Magistrates.

On the 10th November 1879, David was unanimously elected to the office of Mayor of Ipswich. Propositioned by Alderman George Constanine Edgar Bacon, who spoke to the Council of David’s qualifications as indisputable, and of his position and character as well worthy of having this distinction conferred upon him. Alderman Sampson seconded the nomination, saying that whether the Council looked upon it from a commercial or a social point of view, they would all admit that they had before them a gentleman in every way qualified to discharge the onerous and responsible duties of the civic chair.

 

On the 10th April 1860, 30 year old David, a coal factor of Eastwood was initiated as Freemason at the Mundy Grove Lodge, Shipley. In Ipswich, David became a member of The British Union Lodge of Freemasons.

 

The Ipswich Fine Art Club, consisting of members residing in and near the town, had for six years held their exhibitions at the Lecture Hall. In 1880, a new Art Gallery was erected in High Street, Ipswich. The red brick building, designed by Mr. Chaston, of London, the builders being Messrs. Bennett, was formally opened by David Booth as Mayor of Ipswich, on Saturday, 13th March 1880. Several members of the Town Council met his Worship at the Town Hall, and a procession was formed, David was attired in the official robes of Mayor. Major Phillipps, the chairman of the Fine Art Club Committee, read a statement showing the objects and progress of the Club, before David delivered a brief address and declared the Art Gallery opened.

 

David and Jane Booth, as Mayor and Mayoress were present for the distribution of prizes for the members of the A, B, and C Companies, of the 1st Suffolk Rifle Volunteers, on Wednesday, 27th October 1880. The prizes had been donated from various tradesmen of the town, including – challenge cups, money, the E.A.D.T newspaper for 12 months, a joint of mutton, a travelling bag, a silk handkerchief, a teapot, a sugar basin, a pair of shooting boots, ale, wine, spirits, tobacco, and biscuits. David donated half a ton of coal as a prize.

 

Director of the Langley Mill Engineering Company, near Durham, and was a large shareholder in a number of collieries and ironworks. He was a member of the Board of Management in the Eastern Counties’ Asylum. He was an Income-Tax Commissioner.

 

SOURCES:

Image courtesy of Mr. A. Gilbert – Ipswich Borough Council.

error: Content is protected !!