Reverend Francis Henry Maude served at Holy Trinity Church, Ipswich for 38 years.
Born: 1822, Cape Town, Cape of Good Hope, South Africa.
Father: Edwin Maude, born 23rd July 1779, Kendal, Westmorland, was the sixth son of Joseph and Sarah Maude, of Stricklandgate House, Kendal, baptised 4th January 1780, Kendal. Edwin was a Chief Searcher – H. M. Customs, at Cape Town, Cape of Good Hope, South Africa. Edwin Maude died 4th September 1861, at Wavertree Vale, Liverpool, Merseyside. Laid to rest at Toxteth Park Cemetery, Liverpool, Merseyside.
Mother: Frances (Fanny) Anne Wiggins, born 1796, Porte Antonio, Jamaica – Fanny Maude died 16th June 1870, Seacombe. Laid to rest at Toxteth Park Cemetery, Liverpool, Merseyside.
Paternal grandfather: Joseph Maude, born 10th September 1739, Sunderland, Durham, was a successful coal fitter. In 1773 he moved to the market town of Kendal, Westmorland, where he became one of Kendal’s most prominent merchants, as well as a moneylender and bill-broker. In 1776, Joseph built Stricklandgate House in Kendal. On the 1st January 1788, Joseph opened his first bank at Stramongate, Westmorland, with his partners, Mr. Christopher Wilson and Mr. Thomas Crewdson, both wealthy and successful businessmen. Their business did well and in 1792, they moved to 69, Highgate, at Stramongate. Joseph Maude died 14th May 1803, at his home Stricklandgate House. Laid to rest at Holy Trinity Churchyard.
Paternal grandmother: Sarah Maude (nee Holme), born February 1743, was a twin daughter of Alderman Thomas and Elizabeth Holme, of Kendal. Sarah and Joseph had 12 children. Sarah Maude died 8th March 1831, Kendal. Laid to rest at Holy Trinity Churchyard.
Both Joseph and Sarah Maude are commemorated with memorials inside Holy Trinity Church, Kendal.
Joseph Maude’s estate went to his son, Thomas Holme Maude, who became the Mayor of Kendal – 1799 and again in 1813. Thomas continued to live at Stricklandgate House. In 1815, The Kendal Savings Bank was established at Stricklandgate House.
Further reading on the extended Maude/Holme family can be found here – Maude/Holme
Edwin Holme Maude, born 1818, Cape Town, Cape of Good Hope, South Africa – died 20th May 1821, Cape Town.
Frederick Maude, born 1820, Cape Town, Cape of Good Hope, South Africa – died 26th May 1821, Cape Town.
William Maude, born 1st February 1827, Cape Town, Cape of Good Hope, South Africa. William was educated at the Liverpool Institute. In his late teens, William published his first article on Christianity and the life and teaching of Jesus Christ. He continued to write for the glory of the eternal King and became a regular contributor to “The Rainbow” and the “Israel’s Watchman” and editor of “Our Hope.” William also wrote other Christian theology literature papers on the future of the Church and the human race. His points of view, arguments and forthright articles sometimes came across as unfriendly. William was a close friend of Henry Dunn. In 1875, Hackney, London, William married Sophia Mabbs, a mistress of a public school, born 20th May 1832, Mountnessing, Essex – daughter of Robert Mabbs, a schoolmaster, and Ann Winifred Mabbs (nee Miall), and stepdaughter of Margaret Martha Mabbs (1st marriage Borkwood (nee Eisdell)), of High Street, Brentwood, Essex. In the early 1880’s William and Sophia moved to Florence Villa, North Finchley, Middlesex, but after two years of London air, they moved to Liscard. William Maude died 13th February 1883, of Harbour View, Sea Bank Road, Liscard, Merseyside. After William’s death, Sophia became a principal of her own school for young ladies at Great Crosby and later in London. Sophia Maude died 3rd April 1894, at 192, The Grove, Hammersmith, London. Christian World – Thursday, 22nd February 1883.
Sarah Holme Maude, born 1832, Cape Town, Cape of Good Hope, South Africa. Sarah Maude died 17th October 1897, at the Infirmary Tranmere, Cheshire, of 10, Windsor Street, New Brighton, Birkenhead.
The Maude family left South Africa and moved to Liverpool, England in 1837.
Francis received his clerical training at St. Bees Theological Institution, Cumberland. He was ordained a Deacon on Sunday, 20th July 1845 by the Bishop of Durham, and appointed to the curacy of St. John’s Church, Newcastle upon Tyne.
On Monday, 20th December 1846, Francis was ordained to the priesthood, by the Bishop of Durham, at the Bishop of Durham’s Chapel, within Auckland Castle.
In 1847 until 1848 Francis was appointed Curate of a church at Bicester, Oxfordshire.
On Tuesday, 25th January 1848, the Reverend Francis Maude was licensed to the District Chapel of the Holy Trinity, of Ipswich, as Curate, on the nomination of Ralph Clarke Nottidge, Esq., the Reverend William Burgess, and Henry Virtue Tebbs, Esq. – Norwich Mercury – 29th January 1848
On the 24th February 1849, Reverend Francis Maude became vicar of Holy Trinity Church, Ipswich. He succeeded the Reverend John William Reeve, who went on to Portland Street Chapel, Marylebone, and later made a Canon of Bristol Cathedral.
On the 2nd April 1846, at St. Mary’s Church, Bury, Lancashire, Francis, of Newcastle upon Tyne married Lucy Thorp, of Bury, born 24th June 1820, Manchester, Lancashire – second daughter of William and Susanna Thorp, of Fallowfield Lodge, Withington, Manchester.
Father: William Thorp, born 9th August 1781, Manchester, the son of an eminent and faithful Minister of the Society of Friends. William was a Cotton Manufacturer, of Fallowfield Lodge, Withington. William Thorp died Saturday, 8th November 1828, at Fallowfield Lodge. Laid to rest at Mount Street Burial Ground, Manchester.
Mother: Susanna Thorp (nee Goodier), born 7th November 1787, Manchester. Susanna Thorp died Wednesday, 5th February 1839, Fallowfield Lodge. Laid to rest at Mount Street Burial Ground, Manchester.
The Thorp and Goodier families were members of the Society of Friends – Quakers, at Hardshaw, Lancashire.
Lucy and Francis had five children:
Eustace Maude, born 1847, New Shildon, Northumberland, baptised 28th May 1847, at St. John’s Church, Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland. Eustace moved to London for a promising career with the Westminster Bank. Eustace Maude died of diphtheria in 1868, of 15, Selwood Place, Brompton. Laid to rest in a private grave 2nd March 1868, at Brompton Cemetery, Kensington.
Edith Maude, born 1848, Ipswich. Edith was educated at St. Mary’s Hall, Eastern Road, Brighton, East Sussex – an independent school, Miss Ann Mills – Lady Superior. On the 26th May 1870, Ascension Day, at Crayke, Durham, 22 year old Edith married Walter Adam Slater, born 1830, Cloughfold, Lancashire.
BREACH OF A PROMISE TO MARRY
On the 22nd December 1870, Walter was tried at the Liverpool Assizes, for a breach of promise after a long courtship. The plaintiff Miss Elizabeth Ann Law, aged 35, resided with her father, at Hood House, Haslingden. Walter’s father formerly resided in Haslingden, and as a cotton spinner had got together a small fortune, enabling him to retire from business in Lancashire, and to take up residence at Sparrow’s Nest, in the neighbourhood of Ipswich. Walter and Elizabeth had known each other since childhood, the two families moved in the same circle in society. In 1852, Walter and Elizabeth became acquainted with each other, but it was not until February 1865, that an engagement was formed. They would have married but for an unfortunate misunderstanding between the parents with reference to Elizabeth’s allowance and settlement. It was purposed that the marriage should be postponed for four years. Elizabeth released Walter entirely from his promise to marry her. When Walter’s father, Henry Slater died he temporarily returned to Lancashire and resumed his attachment to Elizabeth, and ultimately the engagement was renewed. Elizabeth then discovered that Walter had problems with money and his vacillating conduct and called off the marriage. Walter continued to reside in Haslingden and Ipswich, and in July 1869, they were once again reconciled and Walter promised to marry Elizabeth. But Walter then only wrote just a couple of letters to Elizabeth and never made another visit to her. In the month of May, Elizabeth was told that Walter had married another woman. Elizabeth had loved Walter, she had passed the best part of her womanhood in the company of Walter, he had led her on until at last he had deserted her and married another woman. The only compensation which could be given to Elizabeth was a wretched, miserable, monetary compensation. The Jury agreed and Elizabeth was awarded £400 for Walter’s breach of his promise to marry Elizabeth Law. Londonderry Standard – Wednesday, 28th December 1870.
Walter Slater died 14th June 1880, at Gordon Square, London.
On the 21st December 1881, at St. Etheldreda’s Roman Catholic Church, Ely Place, London, by the Reverend William Henry Lewthwaite, 33 year old Edith, a widow married 38 year old Senor Don Faustino Hernando Y Horcajo, born 1841, Pradoluengo, Spain, of Madrid, Spain – son of Isidora Hernando Y Horcajo, a Doctor, both of the Grand Hotel, Charing Cross, Middlesex. Edith Hernando died 8th June 1882, at the Grand Hotel, Charing Cross. Laid to rest 12th June 1882 at Brompton Cemetery in the private grave of her brother, Eustace Maude. The funeral service was officiated by her father the Reverend Francis Maude. Don Faustino Hernando y Horcajo died 19th April 1921, of the Ville Hermando, Rue des Lilas, Nice, France.
Clara Maude, born 1851, Ipswich. On the 10th December 1874, at St. Barnabas Church, Kensington, 23 year old Clara, of 123, Holland Road, married by the Reverend Dr. Francis Hessey, 29 year old Harry Lacy Fraser, born 1845, Hong Kong, China, a Barrister at Law – own account. Clara and Harry had seven children and made their family home in Streatham, Surrey. Clara Fraser died December 1896, of 27, Telford Avenue, Streatham Hill. Laid to rest at Norwood Cemetery, on Christmas Eve, 1896. Harry Fraser died 12th November 1921, of 53, Telford Avenue, Streatham Hill.
Lucy Maude, born 17th June 1854, at Holy Trinity Parsonage, Church Street, St. Clement’s, Ipswich. On the 15th May 1878, Lucy’s mother, Lucy Maude wrote a letter to say that from 1873, she was the only parent to support and protect her daughter Lucy, and she gave her permission for her 24 year old daughter Lucy to marry a Russian Subject. On the 22nd May 1878, by licence, at St. Pancras Church, Middlesex Lucy, of 44, Gordon Square, Bloomsbury married 29 year old Peter Semenovich Alexeyev, born 1849, Moscow, Russia, a medical doctor. Peter introduced Lucy’s brother Aylmer to the Russian writer Leo Tolstoy. Peter Alexeyev died 1913. Lucy Alexeyev died 21st April 1938, at St. Joseph’s Hospital, Burlington Lane, Chiswick, of St. Mary’s Convent, Chiswick, Middlesex.
Aylmer Maude, born 28th March 1858, Ipswich. Aylmer was educated at Christ’s Hospital School (the Bluecoat School), before moving to the city of Moscow at the age of 16 to continue his education at the Lyceum. From 1877 to 1880 Aylmer was a tutor of English language at the Lyceum. Aylmer enjoyed the company of many people in the thriving British community in Moscow. One of his fellow chess players, Mr. Archibald Mirrieless, employed Aylmer to manage the carpet department of his family run department store. This led to Aylmer becoming a business manager and then director of the Anglo-Russian Carpet Company.
On the 7th August 1884, at the British Vice-Consulate, Moscow, Russian Empire, Aylmer married Louise Shanks, born 10th September 1855, Moscow – eldest daughter of James Steuart Shanks and Mary Louisa Shanks (nee Schilling), of Moscow. James Shanks and Henrik Conrad Bolin established the Shanks and Bolin “Magasin Anglais” (the English Shop) in 1852, selling jewellery, silverware, and luxury ladies’ clothing and accessories imported from England.
Louise and Aylmer had 4 sons.
Louise was educated in Moscow; she was fluent in Russian and had a thorough knowledge of other languages. Louise was a strict vegetarian and worked all her life for peace. She took an active interest in various reform movements – the Co-operation, Women’s Enfranchisement, and the entry of women into the medical profession. Louise was a friend of the Russian writer Leo Tolstoy, and at his request, she translated his work “Resurrection,” in the only version in English authorised by him. Tolstoy and the Maude’s would sit down in a friendly way to discuss literature, not always agreeing, but never taking offence. Louise in collaboration with Aylmer began the task to complete the English translations of Tolstoy’s works making them accessible to more readers which won unstinted praise for Tolstoy and Louise and Aylmer Maude versions famous.
Aylmer resigned from the Anglo-Russian Carpet Company in 1897, and the Maude family returned to England but did not break their associations with Russia. The following year, Aylmer, and Louise with their proceeds from the translations contributed and helped Leo Tolstoy, and the British and American Quakers to arrange the emigration to Canada of nearly 7,500 Doukhobors, a Russian nonconformist religious sect which had many beliefs and principles in common with the Quakers, but a Communist view regarding property.
In 1902, during a visit to Tolstoy’s Yasnaya Polyana estate, Tolstoy authorised Aylmer Maude to write his biography.
In 1918, Aylmer returned to Russia as a lecturer and interpreter for the University Committee of the Y.M.C.A.
Aylmer’s writing developed that not only did he help Louise to translate Tolstoy’s works into English, but he also edited Tolstoy’s translations in the world’s classic series and the centenary edition which the Oxford University Press published in 21 volumes between 1928 – 1937. Aylmer was hon. organising secretary of the Tolstoy Society and often gave lectures to portray the Russian writer in a proper perspective. He also wrote numerous works on religion, peace, and art. For over 20 years Aylmer was a member of the Committee of the Society of Authors, and for 12 years their hon. treasurer. In 1932, Aylmer was granted a Civil List Pension by the Government in recognition of his literary work, especially for the translation into English of the works of Leo Tolstoy. He also continued to enjoy chess and was a member of the Chelmsford Chess Club. In 1937, Aylmer had his first practical experience of the English stage when he supervised rehearsals of Tolstoy’s play “The Live Corpse” by the Southend Repertory Company.
Aylmer died 24th August 1938, of Ladywell House, Great Baddow, Essex. After Aylmer’s death, Louise was granted a Civil List Pension in recognition of the services rendered by her late husband to literature. Louise Maude died Saturday, 7th October 1939, at Great Baddow, Essex. Cremated 10th October 1939, at Ilford, Essex.
Essex Newsman – Saturday, 14th October 1939
Dundee Evening Telegraph – Thursday, 25th August 1938
Chelmsford Chronicle – Friday, 26th August 1938
1841 Main Street, Sedbergh, Yorkshire
Francis was 18 years old, a student of the Boys’ Grammar School – headmaster and incumbent of the parish of Sedbergh – 35 year old, Reverend Isaac Green, B.A., Cambridge.
1851 Trinity Parsonage, Church Street, St. Clement’s, Ipswich.
Francis was 28 years old, a Perpetual Curate of Holy Trinity Church. He was married and head of the household.
2 female house servants.
1861 Trinity Parsonage, 20, Church Street, St. Clement’s, Ipswich.
Francis was 39 years old, a Perpetual Curate of Holy Trinity Church. He was married and head of the household.
2 female house servants.
1871 Bishops Hill, St. Clement’s, Ipswich.
Francis was 49 years old, the Vicar of Holy Trinity. He was separated from his wife, Lucy.
1 female general servant.
In 1871, 50 year old Lucy Maude was living at 11, St. James Road, Kingston on Thames, Surrey with her 2 daughters.
3 female pupils.
1 female house servant.
1881 Bishops Hill, St. Clement’s, Ipswich.
Francis was 59 years old, the Vicar of Holy Trinity. He was separated from his wife, Lucy.
In 1881, 60 year old Lucy Maude, a Preceptress was living at 10, Well Walk, Hampstead, London, the home of 81 year old, widow, Marian Fraser and her 11 year old grandaughter, Jane Fraser (God-daughter of George Menzies Clements).
During 1884, Francis suffered a paralytic stroke from which he never fully recovered. His declining state of health rendered him physically incapable of carrying on his numerous public duties, and even those of his pastorate.
The Reverend Anton Albert Leopold Becker from Ipswich School stepped into the duties at Holy Trinity Church. He continued to serve at the church for 18 months. The living of Holy Trinity Church, Ipswich, is in the gift of the Trustees of the Church Patronage Society, in September 1886, the living was presented to the Reverend William Henry Williamson, a curate-in-charge of a district in the Isle of Thanet, and before had been rector of Montego Bay, Jamaica.
Francis Maude resigned the incumbency at Holy Trinity Church, with the 9th July 1886 being the last date of his notice, but on medical advice, he moved to Aldeburgh, Suffolk, in June, in the hope that the sea air would help improve his health.
Francis made arrangements to move to Flint House, along the Promenade at Aldeburgh, Suffolk, the household furniture from the Trinity Vicarage, Bishop’s Hill, by his direction, was sent to be sold at an auction. The auction was held on Wednesday, 23rd June 1886, by Mr. Ross Christopherson, of Princes Street, Ipswich, and had to start early at 10:30 due to the number of items to be sold from the Drawing and Dining rooms and the four bedrooms, plus glass and earthenware, a few items from the garden, and the well-selected Library of theological and general literature. The Ipswich Journal – 19th June 1886
Francis had served Holy Trinity Church in Ipswich for over 38 years. Mr. George Arthur Biddell had been a Churchwarden for over 25 years, and made an appeal for Francis Maude, in just a few days he had received £170 from about 60 people.
Whilst residing in Aldeburgh, Francis was attended to by Doctor Nicholas Fenwick Hele and visited by Doctor William Alfred Elliston, of Ipswich.
Francis Maude died Saturday, 18th December 1886, at Flint House, Aldeburgh, after suffering acutely from a complicated disease of the heart. The funeral took place on Tuesday, 21st December, at 2pm, in terrible weather. At Holy Trinity, the death was announced with details of a train leaving Ipswich at 11:58 if anyone felt disposed to attend. The funeral service was conducted by the vicar the Reverend Henry Thompson, with the choir from the Reverend Walter George Wilkinson’s school at Eaton House, Aldeburgh. The coffin of plain oak, furnished with brass furniture and covered with wreaths of choice delicate flowers was borne on a hand barrow. Laid to rest in the graveyard adjoining the church. Funeral Arrangements were carried out by Messrs. Smyth and Son, of Aldeburgh.
Probate to Emilie Arnold – spinster, of Aldeburgh, Suffolk.
On the 23rd August 1887, at St. Paul’s Church, Camden Town, London, by Lucy Maude’s nephew, the Reverend Herbert Langston Wright, B.A., Curate of Bengeo, Hertfordshire and assisted by the Reverend Robert Leamon, Curate of St. Paul’s Church, Camden Town – 67 year old Lucy Maude, of 76, Brickwork Road, West Holloway, married 60 year old George Menzies Clements, a solicitor, of 7, The Terrace, Camden Square, London, born 1828, Shadwell, London. George Clements died 1st September 1896, as a result of an accident, at Wiesbaden, Germany, of 17, Gresham House, Old Broad Street, London and of 7, The Terrace, Camden Square, London.
Miss Jane Fraser (George’s God-daughter) was a witness at Lucy and George’s wedding. She was also a beneficiary in George’s Will.
Lucy Clements died 29th December 1899, at Boscobel, Maldon Road, Wallington, Surrey. Laid to rest 4th January 1900, at St. Mary’s Churchyard, Beddington, Surrey.
FRANCIS HENRY MAUDE
Francis was a good public speaker; in the pulpit, he had few superiors and gave many special sermons on theological and other topics. Francis was a frequent contributor to the local press, and he was seldom if ever beaten in a newspaper warfare, being a man of extensive reading and having a varied acquaintance with most controversial subjects.
He allowed various church expenses to be paid out of the pew rents, which legally were part of his own income. In this way, he sacrificed over £600. Through his efforts, the present commodious Vicarage, and the large and handsome schools and schoolhouse in Holy Trinity were erected and left free from debt.
IPSWICH MECHANICS’ INSTITUTE
Francis was a member of the Committee of the Ipswich Mechanics’ Institute and for many years Chairman of the Committee of the Ipswich Mechanics’ Institute.
ACCESS TO PLACES OF WORSHIP
At a monthly Lighting and Paving Commission meeting at the Town Hall, on Friday, 7th December 1849, with Mr. Edward Corder in the chair, a letter was read out from the Reverend Francis Maude, and the churchwardens, calling attention to the state of the roads, and especially the pavement in the Back Hamlet, from St. Clement’s Fore Street to Trinity Church. The pavement was in a very bad state, and it was most desirable that the public should be provided with the proper means of access to places of worship. It was ultimately determined to refer the subject to a sub-committee with the power to decide upon what may be required. The Ipswich Journal – Saturday, 8th December 1849
OPENING OF THE NATIONAL SCHOOLS AT HOLY TRINITY, IPSWICH.
On Wednesday, 10th June 1863, the newly erected National Schools in the Ecclesiastical District of Holy Trinity, in Ipswich were formally opened. Holy Trinity is but an outgrowth of the parish of St. Clement’s, and its population is almost exclusively of the same character. The streets had been built to accommodate the quickly growing population connected to the shipping trade and the attraction of employment with Messrs. Ransomes and Sims’ Orwell Works. The education requirements of the district had for many years expanded far beyond the means to give the children the advantages of education. The old school building where children had been well taught was now too small and inconvenient. There were not the facilities for affording education. The Reverend Francis Maude stepped forward to take on the undertaking to find a better and healthier building. He formed a Committee, and on the 3rd February 1862, Francis Maude and the Committee stated their case and threw themselves upon the liberality of the public – and in just a few months the public quickly and generously responded. Mr. John Chevallier Cobbold had most handsomely given them the piece of land on which the Schools were built, which had been valued at £188. The Government, the National School Society and the Diocesan Society had given grants. The list of subscriptions began with £100 from Messrs. Ransomes and Sims, £50 from Mr. George Arthur Biddell, Holy Trinity Church’s excellent churchwarden. Mr. John Patterson Cobbold gave £25, and Mrs. Lucy Cobbold £10, with all the subscriptions given they were still £75 short, and it was hoped that a collection at the opening ceremony would help towards the deficient.
The Mayor of Ipswich, Mr. George Constantine Edgar Bacon was unable to attend as he had gone to London to take part in the inauguration of the Memorial to the late Prince Consort. Mr. John Chevallier Cobbold was also unable to attend. His son Mr. John Patterson Cobbold, in his father’s absence, kindly consented to perform the laying of the memorial stone and declared that the Trinity district new schools formally opened.
The Reverend Maude called for 3 cheers for Mr. John Patterson Cobbold, as the band struck up the National Anthem. Immediately after the ceremony 250 school children were entertained with tea in a meadow near the Cliff, thanks to Mrs. Lucy Cobbold, and the band of the 1st Suffolk Rifles played during the tea. The Ipswich Journal – 13th June 1863
The Reverend Francis Maude, the incumbent of Holy Trinity Church, wrote in his sixth annual letter to his congregation in February 1865, that the schools in the parish were never so prosperous, the choir never so efficient, the Sacramental alms never so large. The letter gives much interesting information as to the different good works carried on by the congregation.
The stipend of the Incumbent of Holy Trinity depended largely upon pew rents, but Francis expressed in his letter his desire to see the system of pew appropriation discontinued. Francis wrote about “Free Seats” in the Church – that no one can be allowed to claim any right to a place on the free benches, the benches were open to all comers. A stranger who had never entered the Church before had a right to sit in any free seat which he/she found unoccupied. Some of the poor who regularly attend Holy Trinity thought that because they had sat in one seat for a long time, they had a right to that particular seat. This was a mistake! People who wanted seats appropriated to their own use had to pay for seats in pews, and the only advantage in paying for a seat was that he/she had that seat reserved for their own use. They would not see or hear better than people in the free seats and the pews were the same in comfort. Francis felt that pew rents and appropriate seating were wrong in principle. They were all equally – His children – His precious blood was shed for the poorest as much as the richest. There was no rank and no wealth in His house. The rich and poor, the high and the low, the master and the servant should meet together in their Father’s house in perfect equality.
Reverend Francis in his letter to the congregation wrote about the present ugliness and inconvenience of Holy Trinity Church, he hoped that something could be done in the way of improvement.
In just a few hours after his letter was published, he had already received one noble response in the offer from a working man giving £10 towards the suggested alterations and improvements. The Ipswich Journal – Saturday, 25th February 1865
COLLECTION FOR TRINITY SCHOOLS
At Trinity Church on Sunday, 22nd October 1865, two sermons were preached by Francis Maude. The evening service, at 6:30 p.m., would be choral by the united choirs of Holy Trinity Church and St. Nicholas Church. Both the collections for the Trinity Schools.
IPSWICH BURIAL BOARD
Francis was a member of the Ipswich Burial Board committee, he attended regularly, taking great interest in the proceedings.
During his service as a member of the Ipswich Burial Board, Francis expressed that whilst conducting funerals at the Cemetery he had been struck with the very disreputable appearance of the gravediggers, not only were their cloaks very soiled and stained but they were tattered and torn. The Clerk did not agree with Francis, and said the cloaks were far too expensive, and in rough work, they were apt to spoil, and in rainy weather, the diggers would want to wear their old clothes. Francis also raised the point that the servant of the Board in immediate proximity of the grave should also be attired in a smart cloak and a hat.
On Monday, 25th June 1867, he attended a quarterly meeting of the Ipswich Burial Board held at Pearce’s Offices, Princes Street, with Dr. Barrington Chevallier in the chair. An anonymous letter, which was signed “A Sufferer” was read out to the committee concerning frequent depredations committed at the Cemetery. The flowers planted on the graves and immortelle hung on the tombstones of loved ones were mischievously being destroyed. Flowers and immortelles were deliberately trampled and in many cases, the flowers, geraniums etc., were torn up by the roots and carried away – and it was not always children. Mr. William Brame Jefferies told the committee that the Arboretum also had such depredations, and that experience had taught him that the persons watched the policemen with great care so that they should not be seen to do anything wrong. All the detections which had been made had been by private persons. The Clerk Mr. J. Bird said the Cemetery was 32 acres of ground, two men were employed at the Cemetery, one stationed at the entrance and the other on the grounds. Children should not be admitted unless they were with an adult. But there were many ways to reach the Cemetery without going through the entrance gate. Mr. Sterling Westhorp said if any person were caught, they would be taken before the Magistrates and severe punishment pressed for. The committee heard that a notice had gone up on the gate, and a reward of £2. offered. Francis Maude agreed that if the persons were discovered they might be punished for theft and thought they must look to the public for assistance. If the public could be induced to report any depredation they might see committed to the Clerk, this might be put a stop to. The committee concurred with Francis. Suffolk Chronicle – Saturday, 29th June 1867.
In 1872, the subject of heating the chapels at the Cemetery was once again raised, Francis could testify to the great necessity which existed for warming the chapels. It was a great discomfort and inconvenience to persons who were compelled to attend the cemetery that there should be no warmth in the chapels. He suggested a stove on the floor in the centre of each chape, just as schools and other buildings were effectually warmed. A few members of the committee however felt that if there were fires in the chapels, those buildings which were public would be occupied by a lot of lazy people who were always glad of some means of whiling away an hour or two. It was also felt that providing warmth in the chapels would be a temptation offered to workmen for shelter and warmth during cold weather.
On Monday, 3rd January 1876, Francis attended a quarterly meeting of the Ipswich Burial Board at the Town Hall, the chair taken by Dr. Barrington Chevallier. The Clerk Mr. J. Bird reported to the meeting that the total number of burials during the past year had been 1,002. The total number of burials in the Cemetery to the end of the year 1875 was 16,992. The Committee had nothing to report on the extension of the Cemetery because Mr. Fonnereau did not wish to entertain the question until after the Ipswich and Felixstowe Railway Company had taken the land required by them. Next, the Reverend Granville Vincent Smith, Vicar of St. Lawrence Church, Ipswich, called the attention of the Board to the subject of the inscriptions on the gravestones. He acknowledged that Ipswich had one of the most beautiful sites in England, but when they came to look at the gravestones, they found dreariness and absence of invention, which contrasted unfavourably with other cemeteries. Granville hoped for suggestions from the Board on how to stimulate the inventive faculties of those who prepared these inscriptions. Mr. Bird said the inscriptions should be shown to him, but they were sometimes not sent to him. Mr. Bird had written to the stonemasons more than once on this subject, but it was difficult to get them to comply with the request to send inscriptions to the committee. He also felt it was difficult to interfere with these matters because people’s feelings were sensitive. The Reverend Francis Maude asked whether they could not exercise a little criticism. He said he would be the last person to interfere with the expression of any religious feeling, but he thought they might insist on correct spelling and the absence of nonsense. He had seen that some inscriptions were mis-spelt, some were so ill-expressed, that although the meaning might be seen, it could not be said to be expressed. Francis moved that the committee be requested to pay rather more attention to the matter than they had done, with a view to avoiding of grammatical and other errors. Mr. Benjamin Page Grimsey seconded the motion and said that he had found, however, that they had no guarantee that after they had improved an inscription the sculptor would follow their corrections.
In April 1878 new entrance gate was needed at the Cemetery, at the estimated sum of £100. Francis thought that the entrance gate would be very desirable in a town the size and importance of Ipswich, that the gates should be ornamental and creditable to the town and the Cemetery, and he hoped the Committee would not be parsimonious if they saw the outlay was a wise expenditure. Mr. W. Bennett agreed that expanding the balance, would not waste the money, they should not be tied to £10, or even £15, beyond the £100.
Francis in January 1879 complained that the undertakers’ men smoked in the chapels while the service was at the graveside.
Maude family photographs courtesy of Ann.
www.ancestry.co.uk for census returns, births, marriages, deaths, probates, military records and other historical online records.