IPSWICH RAILWAY STATION MASTER

Born: 1857, March, Cambridgeshire.
Father: ROBERT FITZJOHN was born in 1809, at Nassington, Northamptonshire and baptised on the 9th November 1809, at Nassington. Robert was a baker. He died on the 5th January 1864, at March, Cambridgeshire and was buried on the 11th January 1864, at St. Wendreda’s Churchyard, March.
Mother: CATHERINE FITZJOHN (nee Shearhod) was baptised on the 18th January 1813, at St. Wendreda’s Church, March. Catherine died on the 4th September 1882, at her home of St. John’s Road, March, and was buried on the 9th September 1882, at St. Wendreda’s Churchyard, March.
SIBLINGS:
MARY ANN FITZJOHN was born in 1836, in March and baptised on the 9th September 1836 at St. Wendreda’s Church, March. On the 8th December 1858, at St. Martin in the Fields, Middlesex, Mary Ann married John Smith, a grocer of the Strand, born 1835, Exton, Rutland and baptised on the 27th September 1835, at St. Peter and St. Paul’s Church, Exton. Mary Ann and John had one daughter and made their family home in Islington, where John was a railway station warehouseman.
SOPHIA FITZJOHN was born in 1838, in March and baptised on the 29th September 1838 at St. Wendreda’s Church, March. Sophia Fitzjohn died on the 15th March 1861, in March and was buried on the 21st March 1861 alongside her brother Frederick Fitzjohn at St. Wendreda’s Churchyard, March.
WILLIAM FITZJOHN was born in 1841, in March and baptised on the 14th May 1841, at St. Wendreda’s Church, March. William Fitzjohn was a silk merchant and an employer. On the 19th September 1878, at Hastings, East Sussex, William, of 63, Stockwell Park Road, Brixton, married Mary Wood Dawbarn, born on the 15th April 1842, in Wisbech, Cambridgeshire – the only surviving daughter of Richard Wood Dawbarn, a grocer – own account and employer, and Mary Lafone Dawbarn (nee Dawbarn), of 28, Market Place, Wisbech. Mary and William had one son.
In the 1890s, William moved his family to Bath, Somerset, to take up a partnership in the business of Messrs. Richard King, of 7 & 8, Milsom Street, Bath.
William Fitzjohn, after an illness extending over three weeks, died on the 11th February 1906, at his home of St. James’ Lodge, Wells Road, Bath. The funeral service was held on Wednesday, 14th February at Manvers Street Baptist Chapel, where William attended, before burial at a newly walled grave at Locksbrook Cemetery, Lower Weston, Bath.
After the death of her husband, Mary Fitzjohn lived with her son, Ellison Robert Lafone Fitzjohn, a timber merchant and his family at St. James’ Lodge, Wells Road, Bath. Mary Wood Fitzjohn died on the 24th October 1915, at Catherine Place, Bath, of St. James’ Lodge, Wells Road, Bath and was buried at Locksbrook Cemetery, Lower Weston, Bath.
FANNY FITZJOHN was born on the 19th March 1843, in March, Cambridgeshire and baptised on the 12th November 1851, at St. Wendreda’s Church, March, during the same ceremony as her brothers Robert, Frederick and Edward and sister Emma.
After the deaths of her parents, Fanny lived with her brother Joseph Fitzjohn at the Marks Tey Station Master’s House.
Fanny Fitzjohn died on the 12th March 1893, at Waveney House, 3, Thorpe Road, Norwich, Norfolk and after a funeral service at St. Paul’s Church, Cambridge, was buried on the 16th March 1893 at Mill Road Cemetery, Cambridge.
EDWARD SHEARHOD FITZJOHN was born on the 25th May 1847, in March and baptised on the 12th November 1851, at St. Wendreda’s Church, March, during the same ceremony as his brother Robert, Frederick and sisters Fanny and Emma. Edward, a butcher, immigrated to Canada in 1881 and boarded at Easthope, Perth County. On the 8th January 1890, in Perth County, Ontario, Canada, Edward, a contractor of Wellesley Township, married Margaret Hamilton, of North Easthope, Perth County, born 21st May 1847, Ontario – daughter of Alexander Hamilton, a farmer, and Jane Hamilton (nee Wilson), of Easthope North, Perth County. Alexander and Jane were originally from Scotland. They were Presbyterian. Edward Fitzjohn, a farmer, died on the 6th June 1916, at Shakespeare, Perth County, and was buried in St. Andrew’s Cemetery, Shakespeare, Perth County, Ontario.
Margaret Fitzjohn died on the 4th February 1927, at Shakespeare, Perth County, and was buried in St. Andrew’s Cemetery, Shakespeare, Perth County, Ontario.
FREDERICK FITZJOHN was born on the 10th April 1845, in March and baptised on the 12th November 1851, at St. Wendreda’s Church, March, during the same ceremony as his brother Robert, Edward and sisters Fanny and Emma. Frederick Fitzjohn died on the 8th March 1859, in March and was buried on the 11th March 1859, at St. Wendreda’s Churchyard, March.
ROBERT FITZJOHN was born on the 30th August 1849, in March and baptised at St. Wendreda’s Church, March, during the same ceremony as his brothers Frederick and Edward and sisters Emma and Fanny. Robert Fitzjohn died in 1875 in Cambridgeshire.
EMMA FITZJOHN was born in 1851, in March and baptised at St. Wendreda’s Church, March, during the same ceremony as her brothers Frederick, Robert and Edward and sister Fanny. On Boxing Day, 1872, at St. John’s Church, March, Emma married George Kim, a Great Eastern Railway station master, born on the 4th February 1847, at Little Baddow, Essex. Emma and George had one son and five daughters.
George Kimm served 52 years’ on the Great Eastern Railway and retired at the end of June 1912, and moved to Foxhall Road, Ipswich. George Kimm’s successor as district superintendent at Cambridge was his brother-in-law, Joseph Shearhod Fitzjohn.
Emma Kimm died on 11th September 1925 at 4 Rock Road, Cambridge. After a funeral service at St. Paul’s Church, Cambridge, she was buried on 14th September 1925 at Mill Road Cemetery, Cambridge, alongside her sister, Fanny Fitzjohn. George Kimm, a retired Great Eastern Railway district superintendent, died on the 27th January 1929, at 4, Rock Road, Cambridge and was buried at Mill Road Cemetery, Cambridge, alongside Emma and his sister-in-law, Fanny Fitzjohn.
CATHERINE FITZJOHN was born in 1854, in March and baptised on the 18th January 1854 at St. Wendreda’s Church, March. On the 31st May 1881, at St. John’s Church, March, Catherine married Henry Stevens, a bank clerk, born 1847, St. Ives, Huntingdonshire. Catherine and Henry had three children; one son survived to adulthood. They made their family home at 3, Willis Road, Cambridge.
Catherine Stevens died on the 18th March 1917, at 3, Willis Road, Cambridge. The funeral service was held on the 23rd March 1917, at St. Andrew’s The Great Church, Cambridge, before burial at Mill Road Cemetery, Cambridge.
Henry Stevens retired from Lloyds Bank in 1918 at the age of 71 years, after 44 years’ in the banking service with Foster’s, Capital and Counties, and Lloyds. Henry Stevens died on Sunday, 18th March 1939 (the 22nd anniversary of the death of Catherine), at 3, Willis Road, Cambridge. The funeral service was held on Wednesday, 22nd March, at St. Barnabas Church, Mill Road, Cambridge, before burial at Mill Road Cemetery, Cambridge.
CENSUS
1861 High Street, March, Cambridgeshire.
Joseph was 3 years old and lived with his parents and siblings.
Robert Fitzjohn, 51, a Miller and Baker – own account.
Catherine Fitzjohn, 50.
Fanny Fitzjohn, 18.
Edward Fitzjohn, 13.
Robert Fitzjohn, 11.
Emma Fitzjohn, 9.
Catherine Fitzjohn, 7.
1 male 17 year old miller and baker’s assistant.
1871 Station Road, March, Cambridgeshire.
Joseph was 13 years old and lived with his widowed mother and sisters.
Catherine Fitzjohn, 60, a retired Baker.
Fanny Fitzjohn, 28.
Emma Fitzjohn, 19.
Catherine Fitzjohn, 17.
1881 The Crown, Henham, Essex.
Joseph was 23 years old and a Railway Station Master. He was a boarder at the family home of 35 year old Thomas Charles Marscall, a Licensed Victualler.
1891 Station Master’s House, Station Road, Marks Tey, Essex.
Joseph was 33 years old and a Railway Station Master. He was married and head of the household.
Annie Fitzjohn, 31.
Reginald Fitzjohn, 8.
George Fitzjohn, 6.
Cecil Fitzjohn, 4.
sister – Fanny Fitzjohn, 45.
1901 1, Oak Dene, London Road, Fletton, Northamptonshire.
Joseph was 43 years old and a Railway Station Master. He was married and head of the household.
Annie Fitzjohn, 41.
George Fitzjohn, 16, a Railway Clerk.
Cecil Fitzjohn, 14.
1921 Godmans, Marks Tey, Essex.
Joseph was 64 years and 2 months old and a retired Divisional Superintendent of Operations for the Great Eastern Railway. He was married and head of the household.
Annie Fitzjohn, 61 years & 6 months old.
Cecil Fitzjohn, 34 years & 8 months old, unemployed, had been a Marine Engineer.
……
On the 12th October 1881, at Elsenham, Essex, Joseph married Annie Maria Tofts, born 1859, at Hall Farm, Great Abington, Cambridgeshire – the youngest daughter of Charles and Sarah Tofts, of New House Farm, Elsenham, Essex.
Father: CHARLES TOFTS was born in 1818, in Pampisford, Cambridgeshire and baptised on the 22nd November 1818, at Pampisford. Charles was a farmer of 300 acres at New House Lodge, Elsenham, Essex. Charles Toft died in October 1887 and was buried on the 18th October 1887 at St. Mary the Virgin Church in Elsenham.
Mother: SARAH TOFTS (nee Freeman) was born in 1817 in Little Abington, Cambridgeshire. Sarah Tofts died at her son’s home on the 27th March 1889, at Thaxted Lodge, Essex.
Annie and Joseph had three sons:
REGINALD TOFTS FITZJOHN was born on the 18th December 1882, in Elsenham. On the 11th April 1910, at St. Mary on the Quay, Ipswich, Reginald, a bank clerk, of Burlington Lodge, Ipswich, married Eliza Louisa Whitehead, born 18th March 1885, at 27, Key Street, Ipswich, baptised on the 10th May 1885, at St. Mary at the Quay Church, Ipswich – daughter of the late Henry Thomas Whitehead, a carter and carpenter, and Eliza Whitehead (nee Ling), of 27, Key Street, Ipswich. – links to GEORGE HENRY JOHN BULLARD and
ROBERT GEORGE GARNHAM Eliza and Reginald had two sons and made their home at 7, Gippeswyk Road, Ipswich.
Reginald Fitzjohn died on the 5th August 1967, at Kelling Hospital, Norfolk, of 21, Queens Road, Fakenham, Norfolk.
SOURCES:
www.ancestry.co.uk used for census returns, births, marriages, deaths, probates, military records and other historical online records.
Members of the Council – in and since 1835 – Mr. B.P. Grimsey – July 1892.
