A Merchant and Conservative Councillor for the Borough of Ipswich.
Born: 21st July 1813, at Sutton, Suffolk.
Baptised 23rd September 1813, at All Saints Church, Sutton.
William was a merchant, residing and carrying on business in College Street, in the parish of St. Peter’s, Ipswich.
On the 20th November 1841, at a by-election for two representatives for the Bridge Ward, he was elected, as a Conservative, for the ensuing two years, at the expiration of which William lost his seat, and did not seek re-election. William Colchester died on the 15th November 1898, at Burwell, Cambridgeshire.
Ipswich Journal – Saturday, 26th November 1898 – THE LATE MR. WILLIAM COLCHESTER, J.P. – HISTORY OF A BUSY COMMERCIAL CAREER – The late Mr. William Colchester, J.P., F.G.S., who, we regret to announce, died at his residence, Burwell Hall, Cambridgeshire, on the 16th November. Coming of a Gloucestershire family, the deceased was the eldest son of the late Mr. Benjamin Colchester and spent his early life at Dedham. Educated at the London University, Mr. Colchester was intended to follow the profession of an architect, and in early life, before the days of railways, travelled much in Italy, studying architecture by the old masters, and afterwards visiting Russia, mainly for the purpose of studying the manners and language of the Slav races. Returning, however, to the country of his birth, Mr. William Colchester became identified with the late Mr. John Chevalier Cobbold, at one time member for Ipswich. The undertaking in question was that connected with the importation of timber, and a large business was carried on.
In the course of time Mr. William Colchester associated himself with the ports of Ipswich and London in the carrying trade and became a large shipowner. This led to the development of ship and barge building at the Cliff, Ipswich, which he carried on in connection with his other business for many years. Finally, the ship-building department was transferred to his then manager, Mr. George Percy Gildea, who had been with him some 17 years. Some idea of the extent of this shipping business may be gathered from the fact that the fleet of vessels belonging to the firm at that time numbered more than thirty, and a fact of very considerable interest to this day is that the fleet of shrimpers which sail from Harwich are known as Colchester’s fleet. Formerly, this very fleet of shrimpers, which we may explain are fishing vessels between the size of yawls and trawlers, was employed originally in the raising of stone for cement manufacturing, an industry which 50 or 60 years ago was carried on very extensively by Mr. Colchester, and it is an item of further interest in this connection to know that one of the managing foremen subsequently so developed his position in relation to this business that he was able to retire and become Mayor of Harwich. Another pleasant characteristic of the deceased was his broad-mindedness in his relations to the men who were employed in sailing these vessels for their late owner. It is, we believe, a fact that they all had an opportunity of acquiring their own vessels by paying for them in instalments. In connection with this same trade, Mr. William Colchester was largely engaged in the exploration of rock stone from the sea beds outside Harwich Harbour, round to Babbacombe Bay, Devon, at which place it was imported and utilised in the construction of the Great Western line to Torquay, Exeter, and Plymouth.
Mr. William Colchester was always alive to the possibilities of the development of his own neighbourhood, and as an illustration of this, he made very great efforts to get for the Orwell at Ipswich a reputation already enjoyed by the Colne as an oyster fishery. Spat was laid down in the Ipswich river at his instigation and expense, but owing to some hitch or disagreement over the alleged rights of the freedom and owners, it is said the spat was dredged up.
Probably, however, Mr. William Colchester’s name is known to the world far more familiarly in connection with his discoveries in the field of scientific agriculture. It was, we believe, at Felixstowe and Bawdsey that, in company with Professor Prestwich (a life-long friend), Mr. Colchester himself found the nodules and realised the value that lay within the little yellow pebbles known as Suffolk coprolites. Many of the most interesting scientific specimens of these coprolites are named in connection with the Colchester family, and a very excellent and historic collection of these were presented by William Colchester to the Ipswich Museum, where they are now to be seen. He was one of the original annual subscribers when the Museum was first started, and when it was a private concern, supported entirely by subscription In fact, in conjunction with Mr. Edward Packard and Sir Richard Wallace (who purchased the Reverend Canham’s collection of fossils), Mr. William Colchester was one of the principal donors, and a rare specimen was named after him. He had a specimen in the collection he brought down to exhibit at the soiree of the British Association in 1895, which was the last time William visited Ipswich. He afterwards became a Town Councillor for Ipswich.
Mr. William Colchester was an elected member and Fellow of the Geological Society. After the discovery to which we have referred, Mr. John Bennett Lawes (now Sir John B. Lawes) was communicated with, and, as one of the founders of the famous firm of Lawes’ Chemical Manure Company, Mr. William Colchester has been their energetic chairman for many years. He was the first to dig on a large scale the phosphate pebbles from their beds beneath the galt in Cambridgeshire and Suffolk, and the “yellow boys” (as the diggers were called), are still a real memory in the villages between Melton and Bawdsey, and the district around Orford Castle and Sutton Haugh. Mr. William Colchester has been able to watch the rise and progress of an industry which unquestionably owes to him a vast amount of its development, and the British farmer of today, and indeed the farmers of the world, have much to thank him for. Huge works were erected at Ipswich for the crushing and grinding to fine powders of the raw coprolite, and it was no uncommon thing in those days for frequent special trains to be running, laden with thousands of tons of the newly-discovered mineral. In the experience of the late manager, we are told that sometimes as many as 14 vessels, steamers and sailing vessels, have been waiting their turn to load in the Cliff Bright. Mr. William Colchester also acquired large chemical works at Rainham, and at his death was still a proprietor of marshes and land around that place. He was also greatly interested in Langdales Chemical Company during its early stages. The Manganese Bronze Company was also a business of his entire creation, he being associated in this undertaking with Mr. Parsons. As manufacturers of steam ship propellers for the motive power of our great ocean-going liners, this discovery and its subsequent developments are an unquestionable tribute to the man who has gone. Finally, Mr. William Colchester became interested in the Burwell Works in Cambridgeshire and afterwards succeeded to the principal partnership in that business, with Mr. Thomas T. Ball. Some twelve years ago he restored the old mansion of Burwell Hall and rebuilt it much on the lines of Springfield House, at Norwich Road, Ipswich (his then residence), and afterwards making his home at Burwell. For some two years past there had been indications of failing health, but the prodigious energy which he possessed seemed to impart a vigour which even towards the end made death seem distant. After a great deal of suffering, he expired, comparatively peacefully, and the deceased gentleman was interred in the family vault in the church of St. Mary, at Burwell, on Saturday, 19th, amid the sorrowing of the immediate family and a very large number of personal, social, and business friends. The coffin was literally covered with floral tokens from all parts of the United Kingdom. The staff of travellers and clerks at the Ipswich works and the Burwell factories each tendered a tribute of their respect and esteem for the venerable figure that had passed away, whilst the Editor of the “Gardening World” sent a magnificent floral token of Lilium Harrissi entwined with orchids. There were, in addition, very many other tokens, but the greatest tribute of all is the memory that the deceased himself has left behind. Both in his life and works it was an unquestionable integrity with which he regarded all business and private engagements. As a man of intellect, he was great, as a man of energy he has had few equals, and, as one of great resourceful tact, his capacity for overcoming difficulties was undoubtedly one of the greatest attributes of his character.
Mr. William Colchester married in 1840, Miss Mary Kate Bright, a daughter of the well-known Maldon family of that name, and in 1890 celebrated his golden wedding. Mrs. Mary Colchester’s decease preceded that of her husband’s by some three years. The family surviving are four sons and four daughters, all of whom are well-known in the world of art and letters.
