FREDERICK FRANCIS SEEKAMP

Mayor1836 – 1837.

 

Member of the Whig/Liberal Party.

A member of the established church – Church of England.

Frederick was entitled by right of birth to be a Freeman of the Borough, and was enrolled as such on the 8th September 1795.

Frederick entered Council in 1835, as one of the first elected Aldermen for the borough and was appointed a Justice of the Peace in 1836. He was elected on the 9th November 1836, for the ensuing year.

The Quarterly Meeting of the Corporation of Ipswich was held on Saturday, 9th November. There was full attendance of the Aldermen and Council, and the body of the Hall, was crowded with the public. The Mayor Benjamin Brame Esq. stated that the first business of the meeting was the Election of Mayor, for the ensuing year. Mr. Charles Cowell proposed Mr. Frederick Francis Seekamp, Alderman, as the future Mayor. He had acquired considerable experience under the late corporation in the discharge of judicial duties, and he believed met with the universal approbation of the public. Mr. Alderman Head seconded the nomination. Mayor Brame put forward the question. All the Whig party held up their hands in its favour, the Conservatives did not interfere. Frederick Seekamp was declared duly elected. The ex-Mayor Brame passed the scarlet robe over to Frederick to put on, who joked that “he did not know the way in.” The oaths of allegiance and supremacy were administered. The Ipswich Journal – Saturday, 12th November 1836.

Born: 1774, St. Matthew’s, Ipswich.

Baptised: 9th March 1774, at St. Matthew’s Church, Ipswich. Parents: Henry & Sarah Seekamp.

 

Father: Henry Seekamp, born 1748, was an Apothecary, Chemist and Druggist, near the Cornhill, Ipswich. Henry imported and sold for wholesale and retail, fresh quantity of the Pyrmont, Spa, and Seltzer Waters, and curious orange flower and Hungary waters; genuine Cayenne pepper, candied ginger; fine vermicelli, truffles and morels. He also sold best double distilled vinegar at 6d. per pint. He also gave the best price for Beeswax. Henry was a Senior Portman of the Borough of Ipswich, and for many years an Assistant Justice of the Peace. He served the office of Bailiff in 1772 and 1790. Henry was a supporter of the King and Constitution and was a member of the ‘Yellow’ Loyal Party in the town. Henry Seekamp died 19th August 1819, Ipswich. Laid to rest at St. Matthew’s Churchyard, Ipswich.

 

Mother: Sarah Seekamp (nee Shave), born 1751 – died January 1825, Ipswich.

 

Siblings:

 

Henry Shave Seekamp, born 1773, Ipswich, baptised 9th March 1773, at St. Matthew’s Church, Ipswich.

 

Sarah Ann Seekamp, born 1775, Ipswich, baptised 14th November 1775, at St. Matthew’s Church, Ipswich. On the 18th July 1797, at St. Matthew’s Church, Ipswich, Sarah married Thomas Dixon, an Army Surgeon. They had 3 children. Sarah Dixon died 12th April 1838, of 31, Westbourne Place, Pimlico, St. George Hanover Square, Middlesex. Laid to rest at All Souls Cemetery, Kensal Green.

 

John Steele Seekamp, born 1776, Ipswich, baptised 17th December 1776, St. Matthew’s Church, Ipswich.

 

Rose Seekamp, born 17th March 1778, Ipswich, baptised 21st April 1778, St. Matthew’s Church, Ipswich. On the 27th September 1800, Holbeach, Lincolnshire, Rose married Thomas Fawssett, a Gentleman, born 6th July 1776, Holbeach, Lincolnshire. Rose and Thomas had 5 children. On Christmas Day, 1795 Thomas had established The North Brink Brewery at Wisbech, Cambridgeshire; one of the first classic Georgian Breweries to be built outside London. In 1801, Thomas sold the brewery and six pubs to William Watson. Rose Fawssett died June 1846, Wisbech, Cambridgeshire. Laid to rest 6th June 1846, St. Peter’s Church, Wisbech. Thomas Fawssett remarried in July 1847, to Charlotte Cummins. Thomas died 4th December 1853, of Gaol Lane, Wisbech.

 

Charles Seekamp, born 1779, Ipswich, baptised 22nd July 1779, St. Matthew’s Church, Ipswich – died 3rd August 1779, Ipswich.

 

William Seekamp, born 1780, Ipswich, baptised 28th September 1780, St. Matthew’s Church, Ipswich – 1st October 1780, Ipswich.

 

Henry Francis Seekamp, born 1783, Ipswich, baptised 16th May 1783, St. Matthew’s Church, Ipswich – died 6th August 1783, Ipswich.

IPSWICH ELECTORAL REGISTER

1807 – Frederick Seekamp – Portman.

1817 – Frederick Seekamp – Portman, of the Quay.

1840 – Frederick Seekamp – Seed Merchant.

1842 – Frederick Seekamp – Gentry, of Brook Street, Ipswich.

 

PIGOT & Co. DIRECTORY of SUFFOLK 1823 – 1824.

Frederick Seekamp – Seed Merchant, of Ipswich.

 

Occupation: Seed Merchant and a Coal, Cheese & Butter Factor.

 

In September 1799, Mr. Thomas Shave, of the Cheese and Butter Warehouse, Common Quay, Ipswich, passed his business Thomas Shave, jun., and Co., on to Mr. William Daniel, Mr. John Barney, and Mr. Frederick Seekamp. The co-partners purposed to carrying on the Cheese, Butter, Corn, Coal, and Seed Trades, etc., under the firm of William Daniel & Co.,

 

LONDON GAZETTE –

Notice given 22nd August 1804, the partnership between William Daniel, John Barney and Frederick Francis Seekamp, of Ipswich, Suffolk – Merchants and Cheese and Butter Factors, carried under the firm of Daniel, Barney and Seekamp, is this day dissolved by mutual consent. All debts owing to and by the said firm are to be received and paid by William Daniel and Frederick Francis Seekamp.

 

LONDON GAZETTE –

Notice given 22nd August 1812, the partnership between William Daniel and Frederick Francis Seekamp, of Ipswich, Suffolk – Merchants and Cheese and Butter Factors, carried under the firm of Daniel and Seekamp, was dissolved by mutual consent. All debts owing to and by the said firm are to be received and paid by Frederick Francis Seekamp.

 

In November 1812, Frederick submitted an advert to the Suffolk Chronicle newspaper Mr. Frederick Francis Seekamp – Respectfully informs his friends, and the public, that in-consequence of the dissolution of the partnership between William Daniel and himself, he has taken the Cheese, Butter, Coal, and Seed Trades upon himself, and returns his sincere thanks for the past, and hope for a continuance of their future favours. The Hull and Gainsborough regular Traders will continue to sail as usual, by which goods may be forwarded to any part of the Northern and Midland counties. – 16th October 1812.

 

In March 1833, Frederick and his son Frederick donated specimens from their own personal collections to the recently formed Ipswich Museum. The Museum formed an appendage to the Literary Institution, from the funds of which the Museum was supported. The room in which the specimens of Natural History, of Antiquities, of Foreign and British Manufactures, etc., were placed was admirably adapted for the purpose, being fitted up with glazed cases and cabinets, and was exceedingly well lighted.

Frederick Francis Seekamp, Esq. – 11 Gold Coins, about 350 English Silver Coins, forming nearly a complete series; Roman Silver Coins, about 100 – several Silver Papal Coins, and a large collection of Copper Coins, in all about 1,400.

His son Mr. Frederick Thurston Seekamp, – An ancient Salt Cellar, A curious Picture of the Last Supper, in Tapestry, The Head of a Saint, from Madeira, a Roman Catholic Alms Box, A Spur and Cross, from Bosworth, An ancient Balance, An ancient Seal, from Felixstowe Cliff, An Idol, from Thebes, Ancient Key, Two Bronze Figures, an Ear of a Statue, from Herculaneum, a Mammoth Tooth, from Stutton, a Piece of Carpet, from Otaheite, a Cornu Ammonis (Ammon’s horn), a Turkish Pass for the Dardanelles, Recent Shells – about 100 specimens, Minerals, an interesting variety of about 50, and a Ring-tailed Monkey. Suffolk Chronicle – Saturday, 30th March 1833.

 

In September 1833, Frederick became one of the twelve Directors for the Suffolk and General Country – Amicable Fire Office, Eastern Division, established by an Act of Parliament.

On the 8th August 1839, a Jury was empanelled at the Old Shire Hall, under the Dock Act, to assess the compensation to be awarded to Frederick having lost the use of his crane by the erection of the new quays. Seekamp’s Quay, was opposite the Green Man, and adjoined the Common Quay. The claim was for £150; the Jury awarded £85.

 

HULL and GAINSBOROUGH TRADE –

30th April 1841, Frederick begs to inform his friends and the public, that he has disposed of his interest in the Hull and Gainsborough Trades, to Messrs. Mulley, Bayley, and Co., whom he begs to recommend as his successors – feeling confident that the arrangements they have made will ensure greater facility in the conveyance of goods to and from these ports. Frederick also took the opportunity of returning his thanks for the liberal support he has so many years experienced.

 

In September 1833, Frederick became one of the twelve Directors for the Suffolk and General Country – Amicable Fire Office, Eastern Division, established by an Act of Parliament.

 

CENSUS

1841   Lower Brook Street, St. Mary at the Quay, Ipswich.

 

Frederick was 65 years old, a Merchant. He was married and head of the household.

Elizabeth, 50.

Frederick, 30.

Ellen, 25.

2 female servants.

1 male servant.

 

In 1803, Frederick married Mary Thurston, born 1785, of Stonham, Suffolk.

Mary and Frederick had 4 children:

 

John Henry Seekamp, born October 1804, St. Matthew’s, Ipswich – died 1805, Ipswich.

 

Frederick Thurston Seekamp, born 1811, Ipswich – died May 1849, Paris – laid to rest on the 5th May 1849, at Montmartre Cemetery, Paris.

 

Ellen Rose Seekamp, born 1814, Ipswich, baptised on the 3rd June 1814, at St. Mary-at-the-Quay Church, Ipswich. On the 15th April 1846, at St. Neots, Huntingtonshire, Rose married William Hurrell, born 1814, Newton, Cambridgeshire, a Gentleman and Farmer, of Newton Manor, Cambridgeshire. Ellen Hurrell died 16th April 1855, after a few hours’ illness, at Newton.

 

Sarah Susan Seekamp, born 1817, St. Mary at the Quay, Ipswich, baptised on the 19th January 1817, at St. Mary-at-the-Quay Church, Ipswich.

 

After a lingering illness, Mary Seekamp died on the 26th August 1819. Mary was laid to rest at St. Matthew’s Churchyard, with her father-in-law, Henry Seekamp – who had died the week before on the 19th August.

 

In November 1963, the top memorial slab marking Mary, Henry, and Sarah’s grave, like many others were removed, and the human remains found were removed for re-interment at Ipswich Old Cemetery. When the County Borough of Ipswich, for St. Matthew’s Church – School site acquired a Compulsory Purchase Order, 1958, which was confirmed, with modifications, by the Minister of Housing and Local Government on the 13th January, 1959. The Corporation was then empowered to acquire 1.555 acres of land forming part of the Churchyard of St. Matthew’s Church, Ipswich.

The removed grave memorial slab that had marked Frederick’s parent’s and wife’s grave was in a good condition and kept in storage pending the inclusion of the slab in the open space subsequently to be laid out on a remaining part of the St. Matthew’s Churchyard. The remains of five adults and five children were also found in the grave space.

 

On the 13th September 1821, at St. Nicholas Church, Ipswich, Frederick married Elizabeth Flowerdew, born 1789 – daughter of Daniel and Alice Flowerdew.

 

Father: Daniel Flowerdew, born Little St. Mary, Cambridgeshire. Daniel was a British Officer of the Customs, a Land Waiter and Searcher, at Kingston, Jamaica. On his return to England Daniel became a clerk in the Custom House, London.

 

Mother: ‘Anne’ Alice Flowerdew (nee Ludlow), born 1759, at Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk. For many years Alice wrote poetry. Whilst in Jamaica, Alice intensely detested the appalling evils of the slave-trade she witnessed. She wrote her poem ‘Slave-Trade Lamented’ and how she wished for Britons to be nobly just and sever her bands and not hold these victims in her hands.

Lines 7-10:

“How has my heart oft bled with sharpest pain,

And wish’d to meliorate their woes in Vain!

From dreadful bondage long’d to set them free,

And burst the chains of cruel slavery!”

 

Alice was to later write on leaving Jamaica “With joy I quitted that unhappy land.” In May 1803, Alice published by subscription a collection of her poetry written at different periods of her life “Poems on Moral and Religious.” One poem praised Lady Mary Wortley Montagu and Edward Jenner and their great effort to establish the Smallpox Vaccine. Another poem tells of her sorrow on the death of her stepson, Charles Frederic Flowerdew, who died in November 1902, aged 21. The son of her late husband Daniel and his first wife Ann Flowerdew (nee Cooper). A second edition was printed in 1804.

https://archive.org/details/poemsonmoralreli00flowiala/mode/2up

 

On her return to England, Alice established a ladies’ boarding school at No. 1, Upper Terrace, High Street, Islington, Middlesex, where a limited number of young ladies were educated in French, English and needlework, writing, geography, drawing, music, and dancing – 30 guineas per annum, day boarders – 14 guineas and day scholars 6 guineas. Whilst in Islington, Alice became a member of the General Baptist congregation, at Worship Street, London. After Alice left Islington, she moved to Bury St. Edmunds’s, in Suffolk where she continued with the ladies boarding school.

 

Alice also wrote hymns, a harvest hymn – “O Fount of Mercy, God of Love, How rich Thy bounties are.” A general hymn “Father of Mercies, God of love, Whose gifts,” and a creation harvest hymn “Fountain of Mercy, God of Love,” was included in a third edition of “Poems on Moral and Religious.”

 

Alice died 23rd September 1830, at Frederick and Elizabeth’s family home at Whitton, Suffolk and was laid to rest at St. Mary and St. Botolph Churchyard, Whitton.

 

Elizabeth’s sister Anna Maria Flowerdew, born 1794, Ealing, Middlesex – died 11th April 1838, after a long and painful affliction of consumption, at Frederick and Elizabeth’s family home at Whitton. Sophia Alexander, of Church Lane, St. Matthew’s, Ipswich was present at the death.

 

Frederick wrote his Will on the 1st November 1841.

 

Frederick died 8th January 1843, at his residence, in Lower Brook Street, Ipswich.

 

Probate to Elizabeth Seekamp – widow, Benjamin Brame – gentleman, and William Isaac Alexander – banker.

 

The funeral service was held on Tuesday, 17th January 1843.

As proposed by Alderman George Bullen, and agreed by Mayor George Josselyn, as a compliment justly due to Alderman Seekamp, members of the Corporation met at the Town Hall and joined the procession as the coffin passed over the Cornhill to the church. It was noted that the same compliment had been paid to Frederick Seekamp’s father, Henry Seekamp.

 

 

In early May 1843, by direction of the executors, Mr. Benjamin Brame, solicitor, and auctioneer, of Ipswich, the late Frederick Seekamp’s desirable residence, a capital freehold mansion house in Lower Brook Street was sold by Robert Garrod and Thomas Baldock Ross, Esq., at an auction, at the Suffolk Hotel, Ipswich. Also sold was Frederick’s family residence, at Whitton, Suffolk – now in the occupation of Benjamin Cobb, Esq., and upwards of 20 acres of land at Whitton. And the Reversionary interest in a freehold dwelling house and premises, at Whitton. 8 shares in the Suffolk Fire Office, and 12 shares in the Ipswich Gas Light Company.

 

Elizabeth Seekamp died of rheumatic fever of the elbow, 24th June 1858, at her residence 40, Montpelier Square, Knightsbridge, London. In attendance Martha Alder, of 40, Montpelier Square, Knightsbridge. Laid to rest 28th June 1858, at Holy Trinity, Brompton.

 

DURING FREDERICK’S MAYORALTY:

Known as an independent person and of high-spirits, Frederick initiated the first “Mayor’s Banquet.” Frederick hosted the dinner and grand entertainment to a large circle of friends at the Suffolk Hotel, on the 25th November 1836. A large room was decorated in an appropriate manner with elegant chandeliers, embroidered flags suspended from the ceilings, and a large crown formed of branches of evergreens, between which were interwoven with flowers. The Suffolk Hotel proprietors Mr. and Mrs. James Rowell helped serve course after course – including venison, game and every other dainty the season afforded. The tout ensemble was admirable, and the speeches ne less meritorious, from the genuine spirit of liberality which pervaded them. Suffolk Chronicle – Saturday, 26th November 1836.

 

On Monday, 5th December 1836, Frederick as Mayor of Ipswich, attended the ceremony of the laying of the foundation stone, of a New Wesleyan Chapel, in Friars Street. The foundation stone was laid by Robert Eckett, Esq. of London, accompanied by psalm-singing and prayer, in which a great number of spectators devoutly joined including the new minister Mr. C. Edwards. James Morrison and Rigby Wason, Esqs., being members of Parliament for this borough of Ipswich each contributed 10s, and many of the Town Councillors also subscribed in aid of the funds for the erection of the Chapel, which could comfortably accommodate up to 500 seated.

A Tea Meeting was hosted afterwards at Mr. Godbold’s schoolroom, in Cox Lane, followed by a public meeting at the Shire-Hall, when the cause of the dissent from the old body of Methodists, and the principles of the new Wesleyan Methodist Association were explained. – Suffolk Chronicle – Saturday, 26th November 1836.

 

 

On Christmas Day, 1836, Frederick gave the prisoners for debt in the Borough Gaol a good Christmas dinner of roast beef followed by plum pudding, and a pint of beer.

The Bailiffs’ seal.

At a Quarterly Meeting of the Corporation of Ipswich held at the Town Hall on Tuesday, 14th February 1837. There was a full attendance of the Council, and the Hall was about half filled with spectators. As Mayor of Ipswich, Frederick opened the business of the day. Mr. John Chevallier Cobbold rose to call the attention of the Council that he now had in his possession a valuable silver cup presented to the old Corporation by Sir William Thompson, and now in his care a mace that had also been in the custody of the Bailiffs. The silver cup and mace were handed over to the care of the new Corporation. Questions were asked by Frederick as to a second silver cup that he had drunk out of several times and knew had been presented to the Corporation by Mr. Crickett. Mr. Henry Gallant Bristo, a wine merchant of Tacket Street answered that he had never seen a second silver cup during the whole time that he had been connected with the late Corporation. John Cobbold replied that there had been two silver cups, that the second had been missing a long time, and that he had tried several times made inquiries for it, but without success.

 

At a full meeting of the Council of Ipswich was held at the Town Hall, at noon on Wednesday, 24th May 1837, Frederick as Mayor presided. Mr. Alderman Benjamin Brame commenced the business of the meeting by proposing that a congratulatory Address be presented to Her Royal Highness the Princess Victoria, on her that day attaining her majority. He felt sure it would be an event which the nation at large would be highly gratified and delighted with. Mr. Alderman Head seconded the motion, which was put by Frederick as Mayor, and he agreed.

In the evening of Wednesday, 24th the Corporation of Ipswich, with several of the most respectable inhabitants of the town, to the number of 50, dined together in the Council Chamber, at the Town Hall, in celebration of the coming age of the Heiress Presumptive to the Throne. Frederick as Mayor presided. The dinner was served by Mr. George Garrod, in good style, and consisted of almost every delicacy of the season. The evening was spent in a delightful and pleasant manner. None of the Tories were present.

The town, however, did not show the same level of excitement in the celebrations of Princess Victoria’s Birthday as the Members of the Town Council. The bells of some of the churches struck up one or two peals, during the course of the day; two or three blunderbusses were discharged; and the Grammar School boys had a half-day holiday.

DEATH OF A KING.

It was with feelings of the most deep and poignant regret that the announcement to the public that King William IV., the Sailor King had on the 20th June 1837 died, at Windsor Castle. The news of the death reached Ipswich on Tuesday afternoon, and on the following morning, flags were hoisted half-mast high on the church steeples, the Custom House and upon the vessels lying in the port. A muffled bell at Saint Mary at the Tower was tolled, and some dozen shops were partly closed.

 

Our Most Gracious Majesty, Queen Alexandrina Victorian was proclaimed on the Town Hall on Thursday, in due form, by Mayor Frederick Seekamp, in the presence of the Aldermen, Justices, and Town Council, and afterwards under the portico of the Corn Exchange, the Post Office, the Custom House, and the New Market, amidst cheers of the populace.

 

 

 

 

SOURCES:

www.ancestry.co.uk   used for census returns, births, marriages, deaths, probates, military records and other historical online records.

Members of the Council – in and since 1835 – Mr. B.P. Grimsey – July 1892.

www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

error: Content is protected !!