Mayor – 1837 – 1838.
Second Term of Office – 1840 – 1841.
Third Term of Office – 1850 – 1851.
Fourth Term of Office – 1854 – 1855.
Member of the Liberal Party.
A member of the established church – Church of England.
The Long family had been practicing law in Ipswich for upwards of a century, but not a single member had attained the Freedom of the Borough. Peter entered the Council in 1835 as one of the first elected Alderman for the Borough, and held such a position until the 9th November 1865.
Born: 14th May 1805, St. Nicholas, Ipswich.
Father: Peter Thomas Long, born 1777, Ipswich. In August 1793, Peter became an Articled Clerk to his father, Bartholomew Long. Peter was a solicitor and Town Clerk and Clerk of the Peace for the Borough of Aldborough, Suffolk. Peter Long died 28th May 1821, Ipswich.
Mother: Charlotte Long (nee Cook), born 1783, Thorington, Suffolk – died December 1858, at Museum Street, Ipswich – the home of her only son Peter Long.
Sister: Maria Long, born Ipswich. On Saturday, 28th April 1832, at St. Nicholas Church, Ipswich, Maria married, by the Reverend Daniel Alexander, A.M., James Alexander, Esq., of the Bengal Horse Artillery.
Paternal Grandfather: Bartholomew Long, born September 1748, Ipswich – died 1829, St. Nicholas, Ipswich.
Paternal Grandmother: Elizabeth Mary Long (nee De Lande), born November 1752, Sudbury, Suffolk – died October 1797, St. Nicholas, Ipswich.
Through his paternal grandmother, Peter had a direct lineage from a well born Huguenot family.
By the folly of King Louis XIV, who, with the Edict of Fontainebleau, in October 1685, revoked King Henry IV‘s April 1598, Edict of Nantes, which granted Huguenot’s the right to practice their religion without persecution from the state. In July 1690, after the Battle of Fleurus, Peter’s Great, Great Grandfather, Albert Combetes, Sieur De Lande, born October 1661, Millau en Rouergue, in the Province of Guienne, found himself obliged to flee France, to escape the terrible dragonnade. Albert found refuge in England, and in September 1690, he obtained a commission in a regiment on service in Ireland and fought under King William III. until the peace of Ryswick. Albert Combetes’s third son, Peter De Lande, was called to the bar, but afterwards adopted the profession of an attorney-at-law, settling at Sudbury, Suffolk, where he was Mayor five times. Peter left Sudbury and came to Ipswich, where Bartholomew Long, then practising in the same profession, married his daughter, Elizabeth Mary De Lande. Peter was educated by his grandfather, Bartholomew Long. He was Articled to Messrs. Pearson & Laurence. Admitted Solicitor in Michaelmas term, 1826 and succeeded to his grandfather’s practice upon his death in 1829.
On the 1st July 1834, at St. Mary’s Church, Woodbridge, Suffolk, by the Reverend William Aldrich, perpetual curate of St. Mary Elms Church, Ipswich, Peter married Hannah Justina Falkland, born 1813, Woodbridge, Suffolk, baptised 31st December 1813, at St. Mary’s Church, Woodbridge – second daughter of Captain Richard Falkland, R.N.
On the 28th November 1817, Hannah and her sister Jane Dorothy Falkland, born Saltash, Cornwall were both baptised at St. James Church, Taunton, Somerset.
Father: Captain Richard Falkland, R.N., born 1770 – died January 1825, Taunton.
Mother: Hannah Falkland (nee Gooch), born 1773, Brundish, Suffolk – daughter of James Wyard Gooch, Esq., of Orford, Suffolk. Hannah died from a putrid fever, 22nd January 1821, at Dieppe, France.
Stepmother: Caroline Falkland (nee Spurway), born January 1789, Halse, Somerset – daughter of Joseph Blake Spurway & Elizabeth Spurway (nee Cridland), of Milverton, Somerset.
Peter was a witness at the marriage at St. Paul’s Church, Covent Garden, Middlesex, of Hannah’s sister, Jane Dorothy Falkland to George Augustus Munro, a timber merchant, of Covent Garden.
Hannah Justina and Peter had 6 children:
Peter de Lande Long, born 1835, St. Nicholas, Ipswich, baptised 13th September 1835, at St. Nicholas Church, Ipswich. Peter was admitted as a Solicitor in 1858. Peter went into partnership with his brother-in-law Mr. John Braddick Monckton, at 17, Lincoln’s Inn Fields, under the title Messrs. Monckton and Long. They were later joined by Mr. Thomas Henry Gardiner, solicitor, to form the firm Messrs’ Monckton, Long & Gardiner, of 17, Lincoln’s Inn Fields. Peter and Thomas continued their business partnership at 17, Lincoln’s Inn Fields under the title Messrs. Long and Gardiner, when in July 1873, John Monckton obtained the position Town Clerk of London. All three partners were active Freemasons. Peter became Master of the “British Union” Lodge (No. 114). All three were supporters of the Masonic charities and subscribers of the Royal Masonic Institution for Girls and all became members of the House Committee. Peter was Clerk to the Foundling Hospital and to the Worshipful Company of Coachmakers. He was made a Freeman of the City of London in the Company of Needlemakers. Peter Long, of Bedford Square, Middlesex, with a second home at 8, Lincoln’s Inn Fields, Middlesex, died just before midnight on Wednesday, 30th December 1903, as a result of a chill caught on Christmas Eve. Funeral service was held at St. Mary -le-Tower, Ipswich and conducted by the Rector the Reverend Ythil A. Barrington. Laid to rest beside the monument which marks the grave of his father at Ipswich Old Cemetery.
Justina Charlotte Long, born 1836, St. Nicholas, Ipswich, baptised 30th December 1836, at St. Nicholas Church, Ipswich. In March 1858, St. Matthew’s Church, Ipswich, Justina married Thomas Green, born 1835, Ipswich, of Wilby and Athelington Hall, Suffolk, a Landed Proprietor and Barrister at Law of the Inner Temple, and formerly of Her Majesty’s 91st Regiment. Justina and Thomas had 2 daughters. Thomas Green died in October 1862, at 22, Upper Wimpole Street, Middlesex. In September 1875, at St. George Hanover Square, London, Justina married Charles Arthur Head, born May 1838, Ipswich – son of Jeremiah & Mary Head, Jeremiah became Mayor of Ipswich 1858 – 1859. Charles was a manufacturing mechanical engineer, an iron founder, a bridge builder, and an Alderman. Justina & Charles had 3 children and made their family home at Hartburn Hall (with extensive views of Cleveland Hills), Stockton-on-Tees, County Durham. Justina died on the 9th April 1904, at Brierton House, Charlton Kings, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire – Lord of the Manor Captain Hyde Sergison Smith. Laid to rest at Elton churchyard, near Stockton. Charles Head died 29th November 1924, at Arncliffe, Sandgate, Kent, of Hartburn Hall, Stockton-on-Tees.
Maria Louisa Long, born 10th April 1838, St. Nicholas, Ipswich, baptised 1st August 1838, at St. Nicholas Church, Ipswich. Maria was an accomplished, versatile dramatic actress. On the 30th September 1858, at St. Matthew’s Church, Ipswich, Maria married John Braddick Monckton, born July 1832, Maidstone, Kent, baptised 31st August 1832, at All Saint’s Church, Maidstone. Maria and John had 4 children. John was a Solicitor, he went into partnership with his brother-in-law Mr. Peter de Lande Long , at 17, Lincoln’s Inn Fields, under the title Messrs. Monckton and Long. They were later joined by Mr. Thomas Henry Gardiner, solicitor, to form the firm Messrs’ Monckton, Long & Gardiner, of 17, Lincoln’s Inn Fields, until the 17th July 1873, when John was appointed Town Clerk of London. He was Knighted in 1880. Dame Maria Monckton returned to the stage professionally, appearing under the title “Lady Monckton.” Sir John Monckton died from pneumonia on Monday, 3rd February 1902, at 29, Cranley Gardens, South Kensington. Laid to rest 7th February 1902, at Brompton Cemetery. Dame Maria Monckton died on the 23rd September 1920, of 26, Queen Street, Bath. Laid to rest at Bathwick Cemetery.
Emma Elizabeth Long, born 1839, St. Nicholas, Ipswich, baptised 17th November 1839, St. Nicholas Church, Ipswich. On the 11th June 1873, at St. Mary-le-Tower, Ipswich, Emma married Reverend Ambrose Heath Steward, of Ashby Parva, Leicestershire, born 1840, Bramford, Suffolk – eldest son of the Reverend Ambrose Steward, of Seckford Hall, near Woodbridge, Suffolk. Reverend Ambrose Steward died 25th November 1873, at Ashby Parva Rectory, Leicestershire. On the 7th November 1883, at St. George’s Church, Hanover Square, Emma married Colonel Henry Tanfield Vachell, an officer of the Royal Artillery, born 1835, Mucas, China. He served with the Persian Expedition in 1857, and was actively employed during the Indian Mutiny 1858, being present at the capture of Sholapore and the surrender of Junkundee. Major-General Henry Vachell died June 1902, of 7, Adelaide Crescent, Hove, East Sussex. Funeral service was held at St. Mary-le-Tower, Ipswich, before burial at Ipswich Old Cemetery, beside the grave of his mother. Emma Vachell died on the 20th August 1907, at Tunbridge Wells, Kent, of 7, Adelaide Crescent, Hove.
Charles Frederick Long, born 6th October 1840, St. Nicholas, Ipswich, baptised 3rd December 1840, at St. Nicholas Church, Ipswich. In July 1872, at St. Mary’s Church, Stafford, Staffordshire, Charles married Susan Hewson, born 1847, Laverstock, Wiltshire – daughter of John Dale Hewson, a Medical Superintendent at Coton Hill Institution Lunatic Asylum (brother of Dorothy Charlotte Hewson – mother of Susanna Kelso). In 1875, Charles, a Member of the Royal College of Surgeons, was a Medical Superintendent at the Ipswich Borough Lunatic Asylum. On the 17th February 1877, Charles, formerly of Coton Hill, Statford, was admitted to the County Lunacy Asylum, Cheadle, Lancaster – he died at the asylum on the 3rd December 1880. Susan Long died on the 3rd February 1917, at Eastbourne, East Sussex.
(brother of Dorothy Charlotte Hewson – mother of Susanna Kelso)
Albert de Lande Long, born 13th September 1844, St. Nicholas, Ipswich, baptised 17th November 1844, St. Nicholas Church, Ipswich. Between 1868 – 1874, Albert was a successful amateur rower, and a member of the London Rowing Club. In 1875, Knaresborough, North Yorkshire, Albert married Susanna Kelso, born 1853, Tynemouth, Northumberland, daughter of ship owner, John Robert Kelso & Dorothy Charlotte Hewson (sister to John Dale Hewson – father of Susan Hewson). Albert, a Civil Engineer, moved to Stockton-on-Tees, County Durham and became involved in the iron industry. Granted on the 17th February 1891, Albert, an Iron Monger, of Blythewood House, Stockton-on-Tees, was presented into court and made a Freeman of the City of London in the Company of Coach & Coach Makers. Albert died on the 23rd February 1917, at Crosby Cote, Northallerton, North Yorkshire. He was laid to rest at St. Michael’s & All Angels Churchyard, North Otterington, North Yorkshire. Susanna Long died 23rd February 1925, at Thorpe Hall, Wycliffe, Yorkshire.
DORMAN LONG & Co.
In 1875, Albert, went into partnership with 28 year old, Arthur Dorman. They founded the iron manufacturing company Dorman Long, and purchased West Marsh ironworks, at Middlesbrough, employing 1,350 men and 100 boys, initially manufacturing iron bars and angles for shipbuilding. In the 1880’s, Dorman Long started making steel using the new steelmaking technologies of open hearth furnaces. Over the following years the company became a key player in the British Empire construction trade and bought several other firms and work sites around Teesside. During the First World War, Dorman Long were a major supplier of shells, employing 20,000 people.
Dorman Long’s finished material can be found all over the world on steel structures, including many of the most famous bridges, including the Sydney Harbour Bridge, which took 8 years to complete (1924 – 1932).
Grandaughter: Justina Maria Monckton, born 9th October 1859, Paddington, London, baptised 16th November 1859, at Christchurch, Paddington. On the 3rd January 1891, at All Saint’s Church, Ennismore Gardens, Knightsbridge, London, Justina, of 28, Montpelier Square, married divorcé Augustus Martin George Moore, a journalist, of 62, Chancery Lane. Justina and Augustus had 2 sons. Justina Moore became an author under the nom de plume of Martin J. Pritchard – “The Passion of Rosamund Keith” published 1899, and “Without a Sin” published 1901. Justina was in 1897 the anonymous writer for “The Private Life of Queen Victoria” by One of Her Majesty’s Servants. It was reported that the Queen, through one of her secretaries wrote to the publisher, Mr. Arthur C. Pearson, asking for the name of the writer, but the request was refused – Weekly Dispatch – Sunday, 12th December 1909. Justina Moore died 7th December 1909, of 19, Sackville Street, Piccadilly, Middlesex. Laid to rest Friday, 10th December 1909, at Kensal Green Cemetery. Augustus Moore died December 1910, in a nursing home after an operation. Laid to rest 31st December 1910, at Kensal Green Cemetery, after a funeral service, the mourners were only four or five in number.
Grandson: John Lionel Alexander Monckton, born 18th December 1861, Paddington, London, baptised 21st February 1862, at Christchurch, Paddington. John was educated at Charterhouse, Surrey, before moving on to Oriel College, Oxford, where he studied the theory of music. In 1885, John was called to the Bar, at Lincoln’s Inn. He also began dramatic and music criticisms for the “Pall Mall Gazette,” and later the Daily Telegraph.” As a pianist, John began to write light compositions which caught the attention of Mr. George Edwardes. John preferred his music and the theatre and so gave up being a Barrister at Law and joined the Gaiety productions under the management of George at the Gaiety Theatre. He began to compose and contribute to the songs and the music for musical comedies and operettas. Under the pseudonym Leslie Mayne, John sometimes lyrics. John’s musicianship encapsulated the gaiety of the late Victorian and Edwardian age, popular and catchy his tunes became known around the world. John spotted the stage talents of Gertie Millar and introduced her to George. On Christmas Day, 1902, at St. Mark’s Church, Surbiton, Surrey, 40 year old John, a Barrister at Law, of 26, Coventry Street, married 21 year old, Gertrude Millar, of 19, Philip’s Road, Surbiton – daughter of John Millar, an engineer fitter – woollen works and Elizabeth Millar (nee Watson), of Bradford, Yorkshire. Gertie, born 21st February 1879, Drewington Street, Manningham, Bradford was a Gaiety Girl, she could do it all – sing, act and dance and was to become the greatest star that musical comedy had known. John Monckton died Friday, 15th February 1924, of influenza at his residence 49, Gordon Square, St. Pancras, London. Laid to rest Tuesday, 19th February 1924 at Brompton Cemetery. He bequeathed £1,000 to the Royal Academy of Music for the founding of a Lionel Monckton Scholarship. Gertie remarried in April 1924, to the Honourable William Humble Ward, 2nd Earl of Dudley, at the British Consulate, Paris, France. Lord William Ward died June 1932, London. Gertie became the Countess of Dudley. Gertie Ward died at her residence in Chiddingfold, Surrey. Laid to rest at the Earl of Dudley’s Memorial Garden, Himley, Staffordshire.
Peter’s wife, Hannah Justina Long died 1st November 1848, Ipswich.
On the 14th August 1858, at St. Peter’s Church, Maidstone, Kent, Peter married Maria Casley (nee Braddick), born 1814, Thames Ditton, Surrey – widow of John Casley (died June 1857), a solicitor, of 31, Guilford Street, Russell Square, London.
Maria’s Father: John Pitfield Braddick, born October 1765, Dorset, a slave owner, and a shareholder in the British East India Company, which transported slaves from Africa to the West Indies. John Braddick was an ardent horticulturist, at the family home at Thames Ditton, John had extensive graperies and grew over 500 verities of fruit trees that he had collected from all parts of the world, regardless to the cost. He first exhibited the apple ‘Braddick Nonpareil’ in 1818 at the London Horticultural Society and in 1822 the ‘Claygate Pearmain,’ which John discovered growing in a hedge near his home at Claygate. John Braddick died 24th April 1828, at Broughton Mount, Monchelsea.
Maria’s Mother: Eliza Braddick, born 1777 – died 18th June 1866, at West End, South Stoneham, Southampton.
Maria’s sister, Eliza Whitmore Braddick married John Monckton. In April 1858, at Ipswich, Eliza and John’s son John Braddick Monckton married Peter’s daughter, Maria Louisa Long.
IPSWICH COMMERCIAL TRADERS 1865
Peter Bartholomew Long – solicitor, commissioner for administering oaths in chancery and for taking acknowledgements of deeds by married women, clerk & solicitor to Ipswich Dock Commissioners, town clerk and clerk of the peace for the boroughs of Aldeburgh & Orford, and chief stamp distributor for Suffolk, at Northgate Street.
1841 Queen Street, St. Nicholas, Ipswich.
Peter was 35 years old, an Attorney. He was head of the household; his widowed mother was living with his family.
Charles, 8 months.
Charlotte Long, 55, an Independent, born Thorrington, Essex.
1851 Museum Street, Ipswich.
Peter was 45 years old, a widow, and a Solicitor and Mayor of Ipswich. He was head of the household; his widowed mother was living with the family.
3 house servants.
1861 Museum Street, St. Matthew’s, Ipswich.
Peter was 55 years old, an Attorney & Solicitor, and an Alderman of Ipswich, and a Distributor of Stamps. He was married and head of the household.
Amy Florence Casley, 15, born London.
Wilbraham John Braddick Casley, 11, born London.
Reginald Kennedy Casley, 9, born London.
Henry Clement Casley, 8, born St. Pancras, London.
1871 Cliff Hotel, Harwich, Essex.
Peter was 65 years old, a Solicitor. He and his family were staying at the hotel of 33 year old, James Warren – Hotel Keeper.
Amy Casley, 26.
Reginald Casley, 19, a Student of Medicine at Edinburgh, Scotland.
Henry Casley, 18, a Solicitor’s Articled Clerk.
1 chamber maid.
1 kitchen maid.
1 still room maid.
1 coach master.
1881 Northgate Street, Ipswich.
Peter was 75 years old, a Solicitor. He was head of the household.
Peter Casley, 28, a Solicitor.
Peter survived his wife Maria by 34 hours.
Maria Long, died on the morning of Monday, 3rd March 1890, from an attack of bronchitis at her residence Claremont, Woodbridge Road. That afternoon, Peter Long was seized with syncope. He was attended to by his stepson Dr. Reginald Kennedy Casley, but at 4 o’clock Tuesday afternoon, Peter passed away at his residence.
DOUBLE FUNERAL – Friday, 7th March 1890.
In fine and calm weather, the cortège left Peter and Maria’s residence, Claremont, 133, Woodbridge Road, for St. Mary-le-Tower church. The coffins were borne in two handsome glass-panelled hearses and were profusely laden with wreaths and crosses, in which violets were charmingly intermingled with the white blossoms appropriate to such occasion. These were preceded by a coach for the use of the officiating clergy and Mr. G. Mudd, on behalf of Messrs. Footman, Pretty, and Nicolson who superintended the arrangements for the funeral, and the mourner’s rode in six broughams. During the service there was a large attendance of the leading tradesmen of the town and of gentlemen associated in public business with the deceased. Amongst these were members of Ipswich Corporation and Dock Commission.
On leaving the church, the cortège reached the Cemetery, where, at the Tuddenham Road end, in a space purchased for six graves, the coffins were lowered into their respective resting places. Each was a handsome polished oak structure, with brass fittings and plates. The floral emblems were of remarkable taste and beauty.
Probate to Peter de Lande Long – son, of 17, Lincoln’s Inn Fields, London and Henry Clement Casley – stepson, a Gentleman of Ipswich.
The Long Memorial, Ipswich Old Cemetery.
THURSDAY, 9th NOVEMBER 1837
At the Quarterly Meeting of the Ipswich Corporation held at the Town Hall, on Thursday, 9th November 1837, the Mayor Frederick Seekamp announced that the first business to transact was the election of a new Mayor. Mr. Jeremiah Head had great pleasure in proposing Mr. Peter Bartholomew Long, as a suitable person. He was satisfied that he would discharge his duties, with credit to himself, and with the satisfaction of the town. Mr. Henry Ridley seconded the nomination. Mayor Seekamp put the question to the Council and carried, and Peter Long was duly elected Mayor for the ensuing years. The Conservatives did not vote. Peter received the official robe from Frederick Seekamp, and took the oaths of supremacy and allegiance, and took the seat previously occupied by the ex-Mayor.
DURING HIS FIRST YEAR OF OFFICE
On Friday, 12th January 1838, Peter as Mayor, chaired a very respectable meeting of the inhabitants of Ipswich, at the Council Chambers, for the purpose of Petitioning Parliament respecting the conditions of the Apprenticed Negroes in the West Indian Colonies. After having spoken in favour of the objects of the meeting, Peter read out a letter from Thomas Clarkson, Esq., who sadly had been confined to his house – Playford Hall, through ill health and in such a feeble state that he found any little exertion both irksome and laborious.
Thomas Clarkson assured those gathered at the meeting that he still felt warmly and sacredly attached to a cause he had followed up closely for 53 years. He continued in his letter to say “I should have endeavoured to do away a notion which prevails with some, that Meetings such as ours are improper at this time. They say that we are urging Parliament to break their word, that is, to dissolve a solemn contract two years and a half before it would otherwise legally expire.” Thomas acknowledged that there was a contract but now considered this contract was at an end. “The people of the West Indian Colonies, according to this Contract, were to be apprenticed and to be made free in six years. The Planters were to have twenty million for their liberation, and their services during that period besides. This was the Contract on one side. On the other side it was stipulated, that the people of the West Indian Colonies were not to be treated as before. Conditions, specific conditions, were made relative to their treatment.” Thomas continued to explain how the matter now stood. “The twenty million have been paid to the Planters. The Apprentices have been giving, and are now giving, the services required. Up then to this day, we, the people of England, and they, the Apprentices, have performed our part of the Contract. But not so the West India Legislators and Planters. Their treatment of the Apprentices has been anything but what it ought to have been; so much so, that Sir Lionel Smith, the Governor of Jamaica, later told the Assembly there that the Apprentices were in some respect worse off than they were when they were Slaves.” Now with evidence, Thomas had no hesitation in saying in his letter “The West Indian Legislators and Planters have broken the Contract, and that it is, therefore, both in law and equity, at an end.” Thomas wrote that they should not be discouraged if Parliament does not accede to our wishes immediately. “Our present Petitions cannot but have a desirable effect. They will shew the Planters that they can have no hope that Slavery will be allowed to exist one minute longer than the contract has fixed. And they will shew the Government, that if they wish for the support of the people they must instantly and without delay send orders, the most peremptory, to the Governors of all Slave Islands to enforce the different articles of the contract wherever broken. Nor let the West Indian Legislators and Planters think that they may go on as they please, or that they are out of the reach of punishment by this country. It is in the power of the Queen, by the advice of her Privy Council to dissolve their Charters, whenever they are refractory. But if their Charters were dissolved, their Legislative Assemblies would be broken up, and they would have no more power of doing mischief by making oppressive laws. Nay, they would come themselves under the jurisdiction of English laws. I know of nothing which would terrify them so much, or have such an influence upon their future conduct, as the thought of losing their Charters; and this is a measure which I think we shall be obliged to pray for at a future time. Loud applause hailed after Peter had finished reading Thomas Clarkson’s letter. The meeting then heard from the deputation from London. The resolutions were all agreed to and Petitions to the Houses of the Legislature, based on the resolution, were agreed to, which were to be presented to the House of Lords by the Lord Lieutenant of the County, and to the Commons by the Members for the Borough. Suffolk Chronicle – Saturday, 13th January 1838
IPSWICH WET DOCK COMMISSION
In early November 1837, Peter, as a newly elected Clerk to the Commission, publicised in the local newspaper an invitation to the general public to view the Working Plans and Drawings of the proposed New Dock, which were to be placed in the Council Chamber at the Town Hall, for viewing from the 4th November, between the hours eleven in the forenoon and three in the afternoon.
A meeting of the Commissioners appointed to construct a Wet Dock in the port of Ipswich, was held at the Town Hall, on Tuesday, 12th November 1837. read the minutes, together with a report of Mr. Henry R. Palmer, the engineer, dated 27th ult., on the earthwork and excavations, the quay and banks, the drainage and sewer. The Ipswich Journal – 18th November 1837.
On Friday, 4th May 1838, 50 excavators, under the superintendence of Mr. Thornberry, the contractor, commenced digging the Backwater Channel connected with the New Dock. On Monday, 4th June, 50 additional men residing in the neighbourhood were employed to work. The men were paid excavating at so much per square yard. The labour was somewhat severe as the soil varied in its nature, some parts being gravelly, and others being composed of marl and loam, with a large portion of dark clay.
On Friday, 18th May 1838, at 12 noon, a public meeting was held in the Council Chamber of the Town Hall, chaired by the Mayor, Peter Long, in compliance with a requisition signed by upwards of 40 individuals. Many councillors and gentlemen connected to farming and grazing attended the meeting. It was the opinion that a public meeting was needed to consider the propriety of establishing a good and free market for the sale of cattle, which would greatly improve and increase the trade in the town. A public meeting was needed to ascertain the best and most eligible place, and the most convenient day of the week for the holding of a cattle market. It was assumed that each head of cattle occupied 3 yards by 1 yard – there must be room for 540 heads of cattle – however, bullocks were not like sovereigns or bank notes – they would not lie where they were placed – they would move about. At the conclusion of the meeting, resolutions were carried in favour of establishing a free market for the sale of cattle. The Ipswich Journal – 19th May 1838.
ARRANGEMENTS FOR QUEEN VICTORIA’S CORONATION
In 1837, the Clergy and friends of the Established Church held the festival of the National Grey Coat Boys’ and the Blue Coat Girls’ Schools. Having been a success it was determined that an annual festival should be held; and in selection of an occasion for the festival in 1838, no day was deemed so appropriate as that fixed upon for the Coronation of the gracious Queen Victoria. In May 1838, the respected proprietor of Christchurch Park kindly offered to throw the beautiful park open to the public and to allow of the erection of a booth for the accommodation of the children. Several gentlemen undertook to collect subscriptions, which, together with two donations formed a handsome sum sufficient to provide the children with a substantial dinner of good old English fare.
At a meeting of the Council held at the Town Hall, on Friday, 15th June 1838, Peter as Mayor raised the question to the Corporation on the manner in which the Coronation was to be celebrated in the town. Peter recommended the day to be kept as a “holy day.” He also issued a request that the shops be closed, which was cheerfully observed by all classes; but regret was expressed on every hand, that the local authorities had not provided means for the amusement and recreation of the people. But unlike the dear olden times, there was wanting the wherewithal to celebrate the occasion in a festive manner. The Magistrates were of the opinion that the children belonging to all the Charity Schools in the town be provided with a dinner on the occasion of the Coronation. The idea was agreed upon by the Council, and a committee was formed for the purpose of carrying out the arrangements and a public subscription could be raised for the purpose. The Ipswich Journal – Saturday, 16th June 1838.
Under the patronage and guidance of Mayor Peter Long, a handsome subscription was raised to feast the children attending the 52 Charity Schools in the town, of all denominations, on the day of the Coronation.
QUEEN VICTORIA’S CORONATION – Thursday, 28th June 1838.
The morning was ushered in by merry peals from the church bells. At the Customs House, and at the towers of the different Churches in the town, the Royal Stannard floated proudly in the breeze, and numerous guns were fired during the day in different quarters of the town.
In the morning, 450 children of the Grey Coat Boys’ and the Blue Coat Girls’ Schools assembled at the Old Shire Hall, where they were met by the clergy. A marshalled procession proceeded in the following order down Foundation Street and up Brook Street, to the Church of St. Mary at the Tower for a service. At the conclusion of the service, the children sang the hymn, “Lord of Heaven, and earth, and ocean,” with admirable effect. After the service the children proceeded at 2 o’clock to Christchurch Park, where in a spacious booth erected on the north-side of the square, formed of elm trees clothed with the most luxuriant foliage, an excellent dinner of roast beef and plum pudding was provided by Mr. Brooks, of the Great White Horse. Grace having been said before and after dinner by the Reverend J.C. Aldrich. Parish bands played a number of popular airs during the dinner. The children drank the health of the Queen, after which, they sang the National Anthem, and then gave three cheers for their Royal patroness.
Upwards of 2,000 children who attended the Charity Schools, assembled at the Hospital, at 12 o’clock, dressed in their best clothes, where under a number of stewards appointed for the purpose, marshalled a procession behind banners, down St. Matthew’s Street, across the Cornhill, to the New Market. At the head of the procession a white silk banner, with the motto, “God save the Queen – long live the Queen Victoria,” followed by a band of music, playing the national air. At the New Market tables were laid under the piazzas, the walls were decorated with laurels and evergreens, and at the principal entrance in the New Market Street, were displayed two Union Jacks. Grace having been said the children partook of a substantial dinner of roast beef and plum pudding.
The Mayor’s Dinner – In the evening, the front of the Suffolk Hotel was illuminated with variegated lamps, forming an Imperial Crown, with the initials “V.R.” At 5 o’clock, Peter Long as Mayor of the Borough gave a dinner to upwards of fifty gentlemen, principally members of the Corporation, at the Suffolk Hotel, tickets 6s. each. The dining-room was decorated with a variety of evergreens and flowers, and banners were hung around the walls. Amongst them were “The Queen and Reform” and “The Queen and Liberty.” The wines were of the very best sorts, and the dinner was served in a splendid style, every delicacy of the season was in profusion. An excellent band was in attendance, contributing in a great measure to add to the pleasure of the occasion. The Grace was said by the Reverend W. Harbur. Peter as Mayor gave “The health of our Queen, and may she reign be long, happy, and glorious! 3 times 3, and one cheer more. Many more toasts were also drunk and at 11 o’clock the company separated, having spent a most pleasant and convivial evening. Suffolk Chronicle – Saturday, 30th June 1838 and Ipswich Journal – Saturday, 30th June 1838.
THOMAS CLARKSON, Esq.
On Thursday, 8th November 1838, a deputation, consisting of Peter (on his last full day as Mayor), presented to Thomas Clarkson, Esq., of Playford Hall, Suffolk, an address from the inhabitants of Ipswich, and its vicinity, which had been numerously and most respectably signed to offer cordial congratulations on the auspicious termination of slavery in the British Colonies. How he had so nobly stood forward as a public advocate for the abolition of that nefarious traffic called the Slave Trade thirty years ago. The anxious struggle and the difficulties he had to contend with. The inhabitants of Ipswich conveyed their appreciation of his courage and indefatigable perseverance maintained before slavery would be extirpated from the British Colonies.
Mr. Thomas Clarkson replied to express the gratitude he felt on account of the address. After 53 years of his life devoted to the termination of slavery in the British Colonies, it was a pleasure to have lived to see the day when eight hundred thousand of his fellow creatures were delivered from cruel bondage. Globe – Wednesday, 14th November 1838.
MONDAY, 9th NOVEMBER 1840
On Monday, 9th November 1840, at the Town Hall, the Quarterly Meeting of the Ipswich Corporation met in a nearly filled Council Chambers. All the new Councillors were in attendance when the Mayor John May, Esq., presiding, opened the business by saying, that the meeting of that day was held according to the provisions of the Municipal Act. The first duty of the Council was to elect a Mayor for the ensuing year – a gentleman to fill the situation which he at present held. Alderman Jeremiah Head took the liberty to propose Peter Bartholomew Long, Esq., to fill the office of Mayor. He proposed Peter for the excellent manner he had performed his duties when elected on a previous occasion, and Jeremiah had no doubt that Peter would perform his duties in an equally honourable manner and with the town’s satisfaction. Mr. Charles Cowell seconded the proposition and trusted that the second election of his worthy friend would satisfy all. Charles had no doubt that Peter would discharge the onerous duties of his office with honour to himself and satisfaction to the whole town. Mayor John May put the motion that Peter May be elected Mayor was then put and carried unanimously.
It was hoped by the people of Ipswich that Peter as Mayor would during his mayoralty accomplish the alterations and improvements needed on the public buildings of Ipswich, steps they knew Peter had taken during his first term as Mayor. Up to 200 private houses were at that time being built in the town, a proof of the town’s rapid increase. It was known that no other town of similar magnitude and importance in the Kingdom was so ill-provided for in the restoration or rebuilding of public buildings. The Suffolk Chronicle and Ipswich General Advertiser – 28th November 1840.
DURING HIS SECOND YEAR OF OFFICE
The bells of St. Mary Tower Church rung out a peal on Sunday, 22nd November 1840 in honour of the birth on the 21st November, of the Princess Royal Victoria Adelaide Mary Louisa.
Suffolk Chronicle – Saturday, 19th December 1840 – At a special meeting of the Ipswich Corporation was held on Saturday, 12th December 1840, for the purpose of agreeing upon congratulatory Addresses to her Majesty, Prince Albert, and the Duchess of Kent, on the recent birth of a Princess Royal. Mr. John May moved the Address to her Majesty, which was seconded by Mr. Charles Steward. Alderman John Carter proposed the Address to Prince Albert, which was seconded by Mr. George Sampson. Mr. John C. Cobbold proposed the Address to the Duchess of Kent, which was seconded by Alderman Frederick Seekamp. All the Addresses were adopted nem con. Frederick Seekamp proposed that the Address be presented by Sir Charles Frederick Williams, the Recorder of Ipswich. John Cobbold proposed that the Mayor Peter Long should also be joined with the Recorder, in the presentation. This resolution also passed unanimously.
The Church of England members of the Corporation attended Divine Service at St. Mary Tower Church, on Sunday, 22nd November 1840, for the first time since the passing of the Municipal Reform Act in 1835. Peter in his mayoral robes accompanied the procession from the Town Hall, led by the Town Sergeants bearing the maces. The Reverend James Collett Ebden, Headmaster of the Free Grammar School, officiated on the occasion and gave the Corporation an appropriate discourse on the necessity of keeping up ancient dignities and uniting them with churchgoing observances.
On Tuesday, 22nd December 1840, at 12 noon, a general meeting was held at the Town Hall, by the kind permission of the Mayor Peter Long, for the ship owners from the Ports of Ipswich, Woodbridge, Manningtree and Aldeburgh. The meeting was to promote the prospectus of “The Ipswich Maritime Assurance Association.” The new Association was to be under the Direction of a Committee of 18 Shipowners – 9 from the Port of Ipswich, 3 from Woodbridge, 3 from Manningtree and 3 from Aldeburgh.
Also on Tuesday, 22nd December 1840, at 1 o’clock, a general meeting was held at the Council Chambers, at the Town Hall, by kind permission of the Mayor Peter Long, for the landowners, farmers, graziers and others who attend Ipswich Cattle Market interested in the proposed removal of the Cattle Market.
Peter was one of the eight stewards at the New Assembly Rooms, Ipswich, on Wednesday, 10th February 1841, for a Ball in honour of the Christening of the Princess Royal. Gentlemen’s tickets 5s., and ladies’ tickets 4s., event included Cards, Tea and Refreshment. The Dancing commenced at half past nine.
On Thursday, 29th April 1841, extensive alterations in the Town Hall were commenced, by the clearance of the Council Chamber. The ideas and plans for the alterations had been drawn by the Mayor, Peter Long, and so it was expected the improvements, additions and alterations would be concluded in time to hold the Michaelmas Sessions, within Peter’s mayoral year. Suffolk Chronicle – 1st May 1841.
On Saturday, 6th November 1841, at 11 o’clock in Mr. Clarke’s meadow, St. Helen’s, a quantity of building materials arising from the alterations at the Town Hall, were to be sold by auction, by Mr. Haill – including door frames, sashes, stoves, panelling, windows, shutters, and a circular wainscot staircase, with mahogany rails.
Suffolk Chronicle – 30th October 1841.
As Mayor of Ipswich, Peter Long conducted the Borough of Ipswich’s nomination for the Borough of Ipswich. Temporary hustings were erected on the Cornhill on Thursday, 1st July 1841, in the presence of many thousands of spectators. The two honourable candidates for the Conservatives being Mr. Fitzroy Kelly and Mr. John Charles Herries, and for the Liberals Mr. Rigby Wason and Mr. George Rennie. Peter addressed the meeting, requesting a patient and impartial hearing for the candidates and their friends, who had assembled to exercise one of the greatest privileges enjoyed under the new constitution. Suffolk Chronicle – 3rd July 1841.
On Saturday, 10th July, at 12 noon, at the hustings, the Mayor, Peter Long stated the poll to be as follows:
Liberal/Whigs received Wason – 659 votes, Rennie – 657 votes.
Conservative received Kelly – 611 votes, Herries – 604 votes.
Whereupon Peter declared the two formers duly elected amidst loud and enthusiastic cheers. After the two winning candidates thanked the electors a vote of thanks was cheered for the mayor. Three cheers were then given for the Queen, and three cheers for the ladies. Suffolk Chronicle – 10th July 1841.
As Clerk to the Commissioners of the Ipswich Dock, Peter Long advertised for tenders for dredging in the River Orwell, by means of the engine belonging to the Commissioners. Tenders were to be delivered to Peter’s office before Saturday, 24th July.
In September 1841, Peter, as Clerk to the Commissioners of the Ipswich Dock advertised for tenders from builders for the erection of a Quay Wall on the premises of Mr. Nathaniel Byles, Esq., bordering on the river. Tenders were to be delivered to Peter’s office before Thursday, 16th September.
On the expiration of his year as Mayor, the members of the Town Council invited Peter to dinner, at the Great White Horse Tavern, on the 9th November 1841. The invitation was extended to any of Peter’s private friends who may wish to attend. Dinner was to be at 5 o’clock. Tickets, 12s. 6d. each.
The annual general meeting of the Council was held at the Town Hall, on Saturday, 9th November 1850. The first business was the election of the Mayor for the ensuing year.
Mr. Jeremiah Head had the great pleasure to submit the nomination that Peter Bartholomew Long, Esq., be elected Mayor, not only from personal knowledge of the gentleman but also because of the experience which they all had of the ability with which Peter had before discharged the duties of Mayor. Mr. John Footman had great pleasure in seconding the nomination. The question was put and carried unanimously, amidst renewed applause.
DURING HIS THIRD TERM OF OFFICE
The first annual general meeting of the Suffolk Fine Arts Association was held on Tuesday, 14th January 1851, in the Council Chamber of the Town Hall. Peter Long as Mayor of Ipswich was to have presided but was detained elsewhere by other engagements. Mr. John Chevallier Cobbold, Esq., M.P., was instead called to the Chair. Suffolk Chronicle – Saturday, 18th January 1851.
At the Lecture Hall, Tower Street, Ipswich, Mr. James Silk Buckingham, a journalist, traveller, and author gave Four Lectures over four evenings in January, on the 27th, 28th, 29th, and 30th on Palestine, Egypt, Mesopotamia, Babylon, and Nineveh. Peter Long as Mayor of Ipswich kindly consented to take the Chair at the opening lecture of the course. The Ipswich Journal – Saturday, 25th January 1851.
At a special meeting of the Council held at the Town Hall, a report was presented from the Estate Committee with the repairs necessary to be done to the floor of the Council Chamber. Peter Long observed the repairs to be done would amount to £124. He also reminded the Council that in July the hall would be used by the British Association, and it would be most undesirable that any doubts or fears should be entertained for the safety of the buildings. Ipswich Journal – 3rd May 1851.
The arrangements for the visit of the British Association were in progress, the town had recently been visited by Professor Phillips, to ascertain the amount of accommodation. The Mayor, Peter Long had offered every facility in his power, by placing the Town Hall at the disposal of the British Association. Ipswich Journal – 3rd May 1851.
THE VISIT OF HIS ROYAL HIGHNESS PRINCE ALBERT
On Wednesday, 11th June 1851, the Mayor of Ipswich, Peter Long, the Town Clerk, Stephen Abbott Notcutt and George Ransome, Fellow of the Linnean Society, had the honour of an interview with His Royal Highness Prince Albert, at Buckingham Palace. The object of the interview was to consult His Royal Highness’s pleasure as to the arrangements to be made His Royal Highness’s reception at Ipswich, at the meeting of the British Association. His Royal Highness expressed his desire that his reception should be as private as possible, his great object being, in the capacity of a member, to visit the meeting of the British Association. Prince Albert will receive the Mayor and Corporation on Thursday morning, 3rd July, at 11 o’clock, at the station of the Eastern Union Railway Company, His Royal Highness arriving by special train from London.
The Mayor will present an Address to his Royal Highness, to which His Royal Highness will make a suitable reply, when he will leave the station, in his private carriage, and accompanied by Professor Airy and the Mayor, proceed into the town, and at once visit the sectional meetings of the British Association; His Royal Highness expressly declining any public reception at the Town Hall. These visits concluded, Prince Albert, at 3 o’clock, will honour the Mayor with his presence at the Mayor’s private residence, and partake of luncheon; when His Royal Highness proceeds to Shrubland Park, where he will be received at the hospitable mansion of Sir William Fowle Fowle Middleton, Bart., and afterwards inspect the farms, His Royal Highness taking a deep interest in farming operations. During the interview, Peter Long expressed how deeply honoured and gratified the inhabitants of the town would be if His Royal Highness would be pleased to lay the foundation stone of the New Grammar School. To this, Prince Albert made no very decided answer, though he expressed his feeling to be that such an act would render his visit too much of a public character; adducing with particular emphasis the fact, that, whilst he felt the warmest interest in educational institutions, yet, that he apprehended compliance with the request proposed would render refusal difficult if similar intimations should not be made from other towns which he may visit. On Friday, 5th July, at eleven a.m., His Royal Highness will arrive from Shrubland Park, and again proceed to visit the sectional meetings of the British Association. At two o’clock he will visit the Museum and receive an address as a patron of the Institution, from the President, the Rev. Professor Henslow. The member of the Museum are to be invited to attend, and no others will be present. After the ceremony attending the presentation of the address, and an inspection of the contents of the Museum, His Royal Highness partakes of luncheon with the President, Vice-Presidents, and the Mayor of Ipswich, Peter Long, in the library; the party, of course, will be very limited and select. His Royal Highness then takes his departure, with his suite, and proceeds by special train back to London.
The Museum is undergoing a complete renovation. The floor will be laid with crimson cloth, in addition to which a chair of state, covered with crimson velvet, is to be provided. Sir William F.F. Middleton has most kindly offered to open his beautiful gardens on Saturday, 5th July, from 3 o’clock until 8 p.m., to visitors. The price of admission to be 2s. 6d. per head, the whole of the proceeds taken at the gates to be devoted to the funds in support of the Museum. It is 11 years since these gardens were opened to the public, and as many additions and improvements have been made since that period, we have no doubt the liberal offer of Sir William F.F. Middleton will be warmly appreciated by the public. The Ipswich Journal – Saturday, 14th June 1851
THE VISIT OF THE BRITISH ASSOCIATION
A meeting of the Corporation was held on Wednesday, 18th June 1851, to arrange preliminaries for the forthcoming meeting of the British Association. To meet the expenses, a sum of £200 was voted by acclamation to Peter Long as Mayor, to enable him to show how the public appreciated the honour which will be conferred; and a committee was appointed to make the necessary arrangements, which will be creditable to the town. Painters, carpenters and paper hangers were engaged for the temporary enlargement of the Corn Exchange. The New Assembly Room will be open as a Reception Room, and the different sections will assemble for the reading and discussion of reports – Mathematics and Physics, at the Town Hall Council Chamber; Chemistry at the Old Assembly Rooms; Geology at the Temperance Hall; Natural History in the Theatre at the Mechanics’ Institute; Geography and Ethnology in the Library at the Mechanics’ Institute; Statistics at the Literary Institution and Mechanical Science at the New Assembly Rooms. The Ipswich Journal – 21st June 1851.
THURSDAY, 3rd JULY 1851
His Royal Highness had desired a quiet, private, and unostentatious reception, but the town of Ipswich found it impossible to permit such an honourable occasion to pass by without some marked loyal demonstration to show their grateful appreciation of Prince Albert. All the vessels both at the Dock and at anchor on the Orwell, displayed a profusion of flags and streamers. All the houses too, in the immediate vicinity of the Eastern Union station exhibited Union Jacks, bunting, evergreens and colours. At the Halifax Junction, a triumphal arch was erected between the two signal posts; each pier being surmounted by the Union Jack; in front was the motto, “Welcome Albert,” and on the reverse, “God save the Queen,” the whole being depicted in flowers of various hues. On the embankment was a battery of seven pieces, under the charge of artillerymen from Landguard Fort, ready to fire a royal salute.
In the midst of the general preparations, the fine peal of bells of St. Mary-at-Tower Church rang out their joyous melodies. Amid the throng of people and the constant succession of carriages all proceeding to the Eastern Union Railway Station the guard of honour formed by the Queen’s Bays, marched to the same destination. The high grounds abutting upon the Norwich line were crowded by dense masses of people, of almost all classes, and of both sexes, all eager to get a glimpse of the Illustrious Prince on his arrival. The platform was thronged by many of the principal gentries of the town and neighbourhood. The platform itself was covered with Turkey carpets, and bestrewn with rose leaves. No person was admitted to the platform, except by ticket. At first, the authorities hesitated about the admission of the press, but having been assured that it was a customary thing upon such occasions, the press were granted permission. Excursion trains arrived with thousands of visitors from Norwich and Bury, Colchester and Hadleigh.
As news of the expected train had reached Colchester, it became evident that the Prince was going to arrive before his time, and neither the Mayor nor the military had arrived at the station!
Outside the station, the carriages destined for the conveyance of the Prince and his suite (the Marquis of Abercorn, Colonel Grey and Colonel Seymour) into and about the town arrived. The Prince’s carriage, with horses, was sent down from the Royal Mews the day before made a gorgeous appearance, with its emblazonments of the royal arms on every panel, its regal coronets along the roof, its gilded wheels and springs, and scarlet hammer cloth with deep golden fringe. The appointments of the horses were in perfect keeping with the rest of the equipage. In charge were the coachman and two footmen, dressed in scarlet and gold liveries, cocked hats and powdered wigs. Next, a detachment of the Queen’s Bays, mounted, in full parade dress, commanded by Captain Jones arrived and were accompanied by the band.
As the train passed Halifax Junction the Corporation thought themselves on the point of disgrace forever, the Mayor, with the Recorder and Clerk, were still not to be seen.
Just as the Mayor, Peter Long finally arrived with the Town Clerk and Recorder, all in their official robes along with the mace and other insignia of municipal office, the train drew up to the platform. The troops presented arms, the band struck up “God save the Queen,” the royal standard was hoisted over the building, the battery discharged a salute, and the civilians respectfully doffed their hats. His Royal Highness stepped down from the carriage and was warmly received by Peter. The Prince, attired in morning costume, consisting black hat, mixed grey overcoat, and trousers of a darker shade, was introduced to the Recorder, Mr. David Power, who proceeded to read an address of welcome, honour and respect. His Royal Highness then delivered a gracious reply. A loud-tongued cannon announced to the town the news of the Prince’s safe arrival. Peter was honoured with a seat in the Prince’s carriage as the brilliant cortege proceeded with a slow trot towards the town. All along the route the crowds which thronged the streets cheered and ladies waved their pocket handkerchiefs. As the cortege turned from Bridge Street into College Street, the gate of Wolsey’s extensive collegiate establishment was pointed out to his Royal Highness. At almost every house and place of work were displayed triumphal arches, flags, laurels and mixed flowers. Approaching the Cornhill, Mr. Charles Meadows and son’s – ironmongery establishment displayed a lofty arch which reached the premises of Messrs. Biddell and Fox, made from laurels with the words “Welcome.”
THE PRINCE VISITS THE SECTIONS
The various Sectional Committees of the British Association had arrived at 10 o’clock to start to assemble their rooms, and by eleven they commenced their interesting discussions. On arrival at the Town Hall, Prince Albert the friend of Religion, Science, Art and Literature, proceeded to visit the various sections to listen, observe, discuss and seek explanations. The visits of the Prince were entirely devoid of ceremony.
LUNCH AT THE MAYOR’S RESIDENCE
At three o’clock, his Royal Highness, with his suite, alighted at the residence of Peter Long’s home in Museum Street, to luncheon. A select group of noblemen and gentlemen had received invitations to meet the Prince and his suite at luncheon.
In commemoration of the visit to Ipswich of his Royal Highness, on Thursday morning, the Douro vat of port wine, containing 306 gallons of the vintage of 1847, was broached by Mr. William Jackson Chaplin, a wine merchant, of St. Matthew’s, Ipswich. The Douro vast was the largest ever landed at Ipswich. A bottle was filled by the Mayor, Peter Long, and with a suitable inscription, was placed before the Prince at luncheon. On Friday morning, a second bottle was filled by the Reverend Stephen J. Rigaud, to commemorate the laying of the foundation stone of the Grammar School. Ipswich Journal – Saturday, 5th July 1851
After luncheon, his Royal Highness took his departure for Shrubland Hall in Sir William W. Middleton’s carriage, a delightful retreat where the Prince sought repose, after the many fatigues of the morning. A distinguished circle of noblemen and gentlemen were also the guests of Sir William and Lady Middleton.
THE HORTICULTURAL SHOW
The Ipswich Horticultural Society Show, was held, by permission of Mr. Fonnereau, near the old bowling green, which was considered the most picturesque part of Christchurch Park. After the departure of Prince Albert for Shrubland Hall, and the close of the business at the sections, the summer Flower Show admirably served to engage the attention of the visitors to the town. The marquees were crowded by a moving mass of well-dressed people and the music of an orchestra added to the charm of the show. The principal features were the geraniums, fuchsias, pelargoniums, antirrhinums, and the stand for the cut roses was particularly crowded. Several new varieties of plants were also exhibited.
FRIDAY, 4th JULY 1851
Early in the morning, the gentlemen of the British Association were entertained with breakfast at the mansion of Thomas Burch Western, Esq., of Tattingstone Hall, Suffolk.
Just before eleven o’clock, His Royal Highness and his suite, and a most distinguished party, in six carriages from Shrubland Hall, arrived opposite Brooks’ Hall, on the Norwich Road. They were met by the guard of honour under the command of Lieutenant Tomline and escorted His Royal Highness into town to the New Assembly Room, where he was received by Dr. Lyon Playfair, the Mayor of Ipswich, Peter Long and the other authorities connected with the British Association. The Prince renewed his visits to the Sections of the British Association.
VISIT TO THE IPSWICH MUSEUM.
The Ipswich Museum falls within the category of good works, founded for the study of natural history to the working classes rendering a means of becoming acquainted with the infinite wisdom displayed in the works of Creation. It is not surprising that the estimable consort of our sovereign should have expressed an intention of honouring the museum with a visit. The Prince had a special interest to promote and support every science and every art for all classes for the progress on the nation, so when the Bishop Stanley of Norwich brought the Ipswich Museum to the attention of the Prince he had much pleasure to accept the request to become a patron of the museum, he believed the museum to not only be a means of usefulness, but as an example to other towns, to be of such public advantage, he rejoiced in the opportunity of visiting the institution in person for the first time.
The museum premises had been closed to the public for some weeks, in order that the interior might be cleaned and painted, and the collections re-arranged. On the day of Prince Albert’s visit, the entrance hall, staircase, and floor of the specimen room were covered with crimson cloth. At the upper end of this apartment, in front of the superb case of animals, presented by the Marquis of Bristol, was a spacious dais, also carpeted with crimson, upon which stood a handsome chair, in embossed velvet, manufactured by Mr. Collins, of Westgate Street. The entrance hall was also decorated with flowers.
The Museum Committee restricted admission for the visit of Prince Albert to members only. This decision excluded ladies. Considerable consternation was caused, and some dissatisfaction was felt, in consequence; but the ladies were determined not to be disappointed, became members themselves, or persuaded their fathers, husbands, and brothers, to transfer tickets to them. On the Prince’s arrival with his suite, Professor Henslow, the President of the museum presented an address to his Royal Highness Prince Albert. The Prince then read his gracious reply. At the end of the ceremony, the Prince was desired to enter his name in the visitors’ book, before moving into the library downstairs, where a handsome luncheon had been provided by Mrs. Harrison, of the Crown and Anchor Hotel. Twenty gentlemen had the honour to join the of lunching with the Prince, including Peter Long, Mayor of Ipswich.
After luncheon, his Royal Highness took his departure for the site of the new Grammar School, on Henley Road.
LAYING THE FOUNDATION STONE OF THE IPSWICH GRAMMAR SCHOOL.
After leaving the Museum, the Royal cortege was conducted up St. Matthew’s Street and Berners Street. At precisely quarter to three o’clock, the cortege, accompanied by the guard of honour, drove up to the marquee, which was festooned with laurels and flowers, and the ground covered with a crimson cloth, amidst the acclamations of the multitude gathered. Immediately the royal standard was run up and unfolded itself to the breeze, and the Band of the Queen’s Bays, stationed on the right of the scholars, struck up, “God save the Queen.” The Prince passed through the pavilion, and into the centre of the area, accompanied by a great number of the principal gentry of the neighbourhood, including the Mayor of Ipswich, Peter Long, the Recorder, Mr. David Power and the Town Clerk, Mr. Stephen A. Notcutt and their officers bearing the regalia.
Just before the commencement of the ceremony, a ludicrous incident occurred, which appeared highly to amuse, not only the Illustrious Prince, but the distinguished company by whom he was surrounded. A portion of ground was expressly set apart for the representatives of the public press, of whom about fifteen were present. It transpired, unfortunately, that they were so placed as to interrupt the view of the crowd in the background. A shout was instantly raised of “Down, down, Reporters;” when the whole fraternity, amidst great laughter, seated themselves upon the foundations – thus affording an example of how effectually “the press” was for once, “put down.”
Peter advanced towards the Prince and read out a document on the history of the school from the time of King Edward VI, and how Cardinal Wolsey took it under his protection and purposed extending it to a Collegiate Establishment, which his failure prevented. Queen Elizabeth endowed and re-established it with a Royal Charter. The school has since continued, under the charge of various Head Masters, and we have recently secured the services of the distinguished scholar, the Reverend Stephen J. Rigaud.
The buildings are designed by architect, Mr. Christopher Fleury, in the Tudor style of architecture. They embrace three sides of a quadrangle, the principal front being 170 feet in length. There will be sleeping rooms for 70 boys, and the school will have accommodation for the education of about 200.
His Royal Highness made a most gracious reply before advancing to the north-east corner of the proposed entrance, the stone to be laid was exhibited suspended by pulleys from a framework decorated with laurel. The stone, which consisted of a block of granite, weighing 12 ½ cwt.; upon a brass plate in front, inscribed –
SCHOLA. REGIA. GIPOVICENSIS,
FUNDATA. REGNANTE. ELISA. A.S. MDLXV.
SUB. AUSPICIIS. PRINCIPIS. ILLUSTRISSIMI.
Mr. Christopher Fleury, the architect then presented the Prince the plans, together with a beautiful drawing, by the same gentleman, and coloured by Mr. Fred. Russell. The Reverend Stephen J. Rigaud, amidst deep silence, offered up a prayer composed for the occasion. Mr. Fleury then presented the Prince with a massive silver trowel, the handle carved of oak, which had once formed the roof of the old Grammar School. Upon the trowel was the Arms of the Borough and the following inscription –
SAXE-COBURG. ET. GOTHA.
HOC. QUALECUNQUE. SIT.
SUB. EJUS. AUSPICLLS. DENUO. EXTRUCTÆ.
NECNON. OBSERVANTEIÆ. PERPETUÆ.
The mortar was then placed underneath the stone by Mr. Fleury, assisted by the builder, Mr. Simpson, after which the Prince, with the silver trowel, added a portion. The stone was gently lowered to its resting place, his Royal Highness applied the square and level, and then with an oaken mallet, composed of oak, taken partly from the old Grammar School, and partly a relic of the ancient Market Cross, the Prince struck the stone with three smart blows, and amidst universal acclamations, and “God save the Queen,” from the band. Mr. Henry Davy, an artist made etchings of the ceremony of the laying the foundation stone of the Grammar School by Prince Albert. The ceremony over, the Prince, took his leave of Sir William Middleton and Lady Middleton and other distinguished guests, including the Mayor, Peter Long, the astronomer-Royal, the Reverend Stephen J. Rigaud, and William Cubitt, Esq., left amidst renewed acclamations, heartfelt blessings of a grateful and loyal population.
The royal cortege proceeded to the railway station, escorted by the guard of honour. On his way to the railway station His Royal Highness and his suite visited Christchurch Park, the seat of Mr. William Charles Fonnereau, Esq., followed next a visit to Sparrowe’s House, in the Old Butter Market, whereupon alighting he was received by Mr. William Rodwell, Esq., President of the Ipswich Public Library, which institution is located at Sparrowe’s House. Having viewed the quaint exterior of this building, he entered the house, by Mrs. Pawsey’s shop, and examined the interior with much curiosity. In the large room of the Public Library, his Royal Highness was graciously pleased to accept from Mrs. Pawsey, copies of the drawings of the house.
As the Prince proceeded along Wherstead Road to the Railway Station, the juvenile band of music belonging to the Ipswich Union Workhouse, stationed upon a platform, played “God save the Queen,” in a spirited style, under the directions of Mr. Robert Burcham Clamp, the head governor. Ipswich Journal – Saturday, 5th July 1851
The Royal train left Ipswich just after four and arrived safely in London a little after six.
In the evening the Royal visit was celebrated in Ipswich with a display of fireworks and a huge bonfire upon the cricket ground. The band of the Queen’s Bays were also present by kind permission of Lieutenant-Colonel Campbell.
On Saturday evening a splendid soiree was given at Shrubland Hall, by Sir William and Lady Middleton, in the stunning grounds, occupying some twenty acres of beautifully laid-out garden for the pleasure of the British Association. Persons not being members of the British Association paid 2s. 6d. on entrance. The proceeds to be in aid of the funds of the Ipswich Museum. The band of the Queen’s Bays were also in attendance. Special trains were arranged on the Eastern Union Railway for the residents along the line, which set down and take up passengers at the Baylham Road Crossing, within less than a mile from the northern iron gates to the park. The proceeds for the funds of Ipswich Museum realised £112.
On Monday, 7th July a Grand Miscellaneous Concert was held in the evening at the Theatre Royal, Ipswich, under the distinguished patronage of Sir W. F.F. Middleton, Bart., Mr. J.C. Cobbold, Esq., and Mrs. Cobbold, Lieut.-Col. Campbell, and the officers of the 2nd, or Queen’s Bays. Conductor Mr. Alfred Bowlers, Mr. William Norman presided at the pianoforte with a band and chorus of 50 performers – principal vocalists – Mr. Manvers, Mademoiselle E. Brienti and Miss Thornton. Boxes, 5s.; Lower Boxes, 3s.; Pit, 2s.; Gallery, 1s. Ipswich Journal – Saturday, 5th July 1851
The British Association continued the sections of exhibitions until Tuesday. On Tuesday evening the President’s dinner was attended by 200 guests, the great majority being the influential inhabitants of Ipswich, including over fifty ladies. Thanks was voted to the authorities of Ipswich, and in reply, Mr. Robert Ransome ably expressed the grace of feelings of the people of Ipswich for the honour conferred on them to host the British Association, the effects he felt would be beneficially experienced for generations to come. The assembly broke up, and the British Association closed the 21st year of its useful existence. The meeting next year was fixed for Belfast in August. The Illustrated London News – Saturday, 12th July 1851
On Wednesday, 9th July at the conclusion of the Meetings of the British Associations, a Ball was held at the Ipswich Assembly Rooms, commencing at half-past nine. Gentlemen’s tickets – 8s. 6d.; Ladies’ tickets – 6s. 6d. Peter Long was one of the twelve stewards for the evening Ball. Ipswich Journal – Saturday, 5th July 1851
At the end of the General Quarter Sessions for the borough of Ipswich, on Thursday, at the Town Hall, the Recorder, Mr. David Power, Esq., spoke of the great satisfaction to himself, as well as to all concerned in the administration of the law, to bear testimony to the exemplary conduct which had been manifested by the people of Ipswich, during the recent visit by his Royal Highness, Prince Albert. Large crowds of persons thronged the streets for the two days, and, excepting some depredations by strangers, he did not hear of a single offence being committed by an inhabitant of the town. It was highly creditable to the borough, as showing that the public morals were in a sound and healthy state. Suffolk Chronicle – Saturday, 12th July 1851.
The Mayor of Ipswich, Peter Long received a letter from Buckingham Palace, dated 7th July 1851, from Colonel Grey, by the command of the Prince to assure Peter of the pleasure his Royal Highness looks back upon his visit to Ipswich. He desired Colonel Grey to say that he fully appreciated the excellent arrangements and of the kind attention to all his wishes. Suffolk Chronicle – 19th July 1851.
The Reverend Stephen J. Rigaud, Head Master of the Queen Elizabeth Grammar School, Ipswich, also received a letter from Buckingham Palace, dated 17th July 1851, from Colonel Grey, by the command of his Royal Highness Prince Albert to request that a week’s additional holidays may be given to the boys of the Ipswich Grammar School, in commemoration of his Royal Highness having laid the first stone of the new building. His Royal Highness regrets that he omitted to mention this wish at the time. Suffolk Chronicle – 19th July 1851.
“LOVE AND LOYALTY” A MEMENTO OF THE VISIT OF HIS ROYAL HIGHNESS PRINCE ALBERT TO IPSWICH AND SHRUBLAND HALL
On the occasion of his Royal Highness Prince Albert’s visit to the meeting of the British Association, at Ipswich, and his visit to Shrubland Hall, the drama “LOVE AND LOYALTY” written by Mr. Robinson Taylor, of Ipswich, was dedicated, by permission, to Sir William F.F. Middleton, Bart. The Ipswich Journal – July 1851
At the beginning of 1852, Mr. Robinson Taylor’s “LOVE AND LOYALTY” a play in five acts, founded on a Scottish Legend, and dedicated to Sir William F.F. Middleton, Bart, in commemoration of His Royal Highness Prince Albert’s visit to Ipswich, in 1851, was published, in 8vo, stitched, and price 2s. The Ipswich Journal – Saturday, 17th January 1852
In March 1852, Mr. Robinson Taylor had the great honour of forwarding a copy of his play “LOVE AND LOYALTY” to His Royal Highness Prince Albert. The book was dedicated to Sir William F.F. Middleton, Bart., as a humble memento of the late visit of the Illustrious Prince to Shrubland Hall. The book was bound by Mr. Brook, of Princes Street, in crimson silk and gold, with the national emblems, the Rose, Shamrock, and Thistle on the cover. His Royal Highness, with respect and kindness, replied to Mr. Taylor to graciously accept the play:
“Colonial Grey has received the commands of His Royal Highness Prince Albert to acknowledge the receipt of Mr. Taylor’s letter, and the copy of his play, which His Royal Highness has much pleasure in accepting, and for which he begs Mr. Taylor will accept the expression of his best thanks.”
“Osborne, 17th March 1852.”
During the evening, of Thursday, 7th February 1856, the drama written by Mr. Robinson Taylor entitled “LOVE AND LOYALTY” founded on historic incidents, was performed at the Theatre Royal, Ipswich. The funds were collected for the Seamen’s Shipwrecked Society.
DURING HIS FOURTH TERM OF OFFICE
On Thursday, 9th November 1854, there was a very full attendance of Councillors and a numerous body of spectators at the annual meeting of the Council. The first business to transact was the election of a new Mayor. Alderman Jeremiah Head had the great pleasure to simply propose his friend Mr. Peter Bartholomew Long to be Mayor for the ensuing year. A gentleman whose qualifications for the important duties of the Mayoralty were so well known by experience that comment was unnecessary. Alderman George Josselyn had equal pleasure in seconding the nomination. The announcement of Peter’s election was received by the Council with hearty and unanimous applause.
In the evening, on Friday, 5th January 1855, Peter as Mayor chaired a lecture given by the Reverend Samuel Farman, rector of Layer Marney, Essex, and for several years a resident at Constantinople – titled “Constantinople in connection with the present war.” To add to the proceedings the band of the Suffolk Artillery was present, by kind permission of Lieutenant Colonel Adair. The proceeds at the door, amounted to £4, which was paid over to the Crimean Army Fund.
THE NECESSITIES OF THE POOR
On the 23rd February 1855, a requisition was delivered to Peter Long as Mayor of Ipswich. The requisition undersigned by 34 gentlemen, requested that a Public Meeting be called at the earliest convenient day to take into consideration the wants of some of the poor in the town during the severe weather they were experiencing, with a view to affording them some temporary aid. Peter in compliance with the requisition convened a public meeting for the inhabitants of Ipswich at the Council Chamber of the Town Hall, on Monday, 26th February, at 11 o’clock in the forenoon.
The arranged public meeting was held in the Council Chamber, at the Town Hall, for the inhabitants of the town, for the purpose of raising a subscription to provide temporary aid and relieve the distress of the necessitous and deserving poor occasioned by the long severe frosty weather. Peter Long presided and began by reading out the requisition. Mr. Robert Ransome spoke of the number of persons, especially connected with shipping, who had been thrown out of employ, inconsequence of vessels being unable to get in and out of the harbour. He had observed that there was a great number of unemployed workmen and a great deal of sickness in the town. He felt that there was a call on the part of those who could afford it to alleviate the sufferings of their poorer neighbours. Mr. George Josselyn had much pleasure in proposing the resolution, that in consequence of the distress which had been caused by the inclemency of the weather, it was necessary to raise a fund for the purpose of affording the poor some temporary aid. Mr. Charles Gower had the great pleasure to second the resolution. Mr. George Sampson most cordially concurred in the object of the meeting, and was happy to give it his warmest support, and added that there should be no time lost to take immediate steps – the shorter the speeches and the larger the subscriptions the better. Captain Love of the East Suffolk Artillery spoke of when the weather cleared the poor could again work and buy bread, but it would take some time to raise sufficient money to get their articles out of pawn. It was also the opinion that bread and coals were far better than kitchens for soup.
Peter and 19 other gentlemen and all clergymen from every parish formed a committee which met after the public meeting.
All the banks in town received subscriptions and by the beginning of March over £400 had been collected. The distribution was chiefly devolved upon committees of ladies from all parishes. The ladies made visits to each house and became acquainted with actual wants and needs.
DAY OF FASTING AND HUMILIATION – A PROCLAMATION, BY THE QUEEN.
For a day of Solemn Fast, Humiliation, and Prayer. VICTORIA R. – We, taking into our most serious consideration the just and necessary war in which we are engaged, and putting our trust in Almighty God that He will graciously bless our arms both by sea and land, have resolved, and do, by and with the advice of our Privy Council, hereby command that a public day of solemn fast, humiliation, and prayer be observed throughout those parts of our united kingdom called England and Ireland, on Wednesday, the 21st day of March next, that so both we and our people may humble ourselves before Almighty God, in order to obtain pardon of our sins, and in the most devout and solemn manner send up our prayers and supplications to the Divine Majesty, for imploring his blessing and assistance on our arms, for the restoration of peace to us and our dominions; and we do strictly charge and command that the said day be reverently and devoutly observed by all our loving subjects in England and Ireland, as they tender the favour of Almighty God and would avoid His wrath and indignation; and, for the better and more orderly solemnising the same, we have given directions to the most rev. the Archbishops and the right rev. the Bishops of England and Ireland to compose a form of prayer suitable to this occasion, to be used in all churches, chapels, and places of public worship, and to take care the same be timely dispersed throughout their respective dioceses. Given at our Court at Buckingham Palace this 28th day of February, in the year of our Lord, 1855, and in the 18th year of our reign. God save the Queen.
TOWN HALL IMPROVEMENTS
The quarterly meeting of the Council was held on Wednesday, 25th April. The Committee appointed to consider the practicability of providing better accommodation for the Post Office and for the meetings of Magistrates and other business at the Town Hall, had to tell of their regret that they had found it impossible to obtain the public house called The Tuns, for the purpose of increasing the area to the Town Hall. It is therefore impossible to provide accommodation at the Town Hall for the Post Office. However, arrangements had been suggested to improve the present arrangements of the Town Hall rooms to help provide better accommodation for the Magistrates and police. The Committee requested that they may be authorised to obtain a plan for the purpose and submit it to the Council. Suffolk Chronicle – Saturday, 28th April 1855.
IMPROVEMENT OF THE TOWN HALL
The quarterly meeting of the Ipswich Town Council was held on Wednesday, 25th July 1855, at the Town Hall. As authorised by the Council, on the 25th April 1855, the Committee had obtained a plan prepared by Mr. Philson for procuring better accommodation at the Town Hall. The leading features in the plan were the raising of the floor of the police station to the level of the street, and the raising of the floor of the Magistrates’ Room to the level of the bench of the Sessions Court and obtaining increased height to the Council Chamber to the level of the reading room now occupied by the Literary Institution. The Committee’s new plan also embraced an alteration to the front of the building which would greatly improve its appearance. In examining the old part of the present roof over the Council Chamber, it was found to be in a bad state and would require an outlay of about £300.
The cost of carrying out the whole plan, including the repair of the roof was estimated at £2,300. Peter Long, as Mayor felt that the police station could not be more inefficient and that it was a disgrace that Magistrates should be shut up in such a place to transact business in the Magistrates Court for hours twice a week. He felt that they could not deal with the question of providing better accommodation for the magistrates and the police without some alteration of the Council Chamber, and on account of the state of the roof, it would be better that the whole should be done at once. The expense would not fall heavily upon the town, as it would be spread over s series of years, and the plan had been prepared with a view to an extension of the building whenever opportunity should permit. Suffolk Chronicle – Saturday, 28th July 1855
Two learned Judges upon the Norfolk Circuit, the Right Hon. Sir James Parke, Knt., and the Hon. Sir Edward Hall Anderson, Knt., Barons of Her Majesty’s Court of Exchequer came from Norwich on Saturday afternoon, and were received at Ipswich Railway Station by John Josselyn, Esq., the High-Sheriff, of St. Edmund’s Hill, Bury St. Edmunds, attended by his Chaplain, the Reverend George Caesar Hawkins, B.A., rector of Honington, and George Josselyn, Esq., the Under-Sheriff. They proceeded to the courts in front of the County Gaol, escorted by the retinue of javelin men and trumpeters. Great numbers of people lined the streets and the bells at St. Mary-at-Tower rang out. Having opened the Commission with the customary formalities their Lordships were then conducted to their lodgings, in Northgate Street, at the residence of Mr. John Biddle Alexander, Esq., when Peter Long, Mayor of Ipswich, in his robe of office, and attended by Stephen Abbott Notcutt, Esq., the Town Clerk, with the Sergeants at Mace bearing the Corporation Regalia, made the accustomed official visit. On Sunday morning, at eleven o’clock, their lordships, accompanied by the High Sheriff, who wore the costume of a Deputy-Lieutenant, and by the Under-Sheriff attended Divine Service at St. Mary-at-Tower Church. Peter Long, as Mayor of Ipswich, attended wearing his official robe, together with his mace bearers, and other members of the Town Council, with the Town Clerk. The prayers were read by the incumbent the Rev. W.N. Leger. The service was preached by the Reverend George Caesar Hawkins, who selected as his text, Isaiah, xxx, 20, 21. The Ipswich Journal and Suffolk Chronicle – Saturday, 4th August 1855.
THE FALL OF SEBASTOPOL
There was great excitement in the evening of Saturday, 9th September 1855, when the intelligence reached Ipswich of the prospect of the bombardment of Sebastopol being successful. On Sunday, the same feeling predominated after the arrival of a telegraphic message announcing the triumphant progress of the siege. On Monday, the feeling had reach fever heat. At 10:50 a.m., the officials at the Submarine Telegraph Office, in Queen Street, published a message announcing that the Malakoff had been taken; at 7 p.m. another telegraphic message announced that the victory had crowned the arms of the allies. The glorious news spread through the town like wildfire. The streets were speedily thronged by an excited crowd, particularly Tavern Street, Westgate Street, and the Cornhill. The bells at St. Mary-at-Tower Church rang out their merriest peals until nearly midnight. At the White Horse Hotel, a party of gentlemen raised a subscription, and treated the populace with beer, which was drunk with high glee! The streets echoed to the cheers of those assembled, mingled with the sound of exploding fireworks, squibs, and crackers. Small canons were fired off at different parts of the town. The popular joy was carried by some too far, when a bonfire on a field adjacent to Anglesea Road was started using kindle with wood taken from an adjoining hedge. To supply the burning bonfire some most unjustifiable intrusions were made upon neighbouring properties. Several dozen garden fence hurdles were torn out of the ground along with scaffold poles and all consigned to the flames. The interposition of the police prevented further destruction of property, in the endeavours to extinguish the flames and to disperse the multitude, Superintendent William Carrington Mason had stones thrown at him, one of which inflicted a severe cut just over his left eye.
On Tuesday morning, a flag was hoisted from the staff of St. Mary-at-Tower Church, The Royal Standard was hoisted at the Custom House, and the shipping in the dock had their colours flying, while the bells of several churches rang out. During the day, it became known to Mayor, Peter Long that the populace wished to have another bonfire that night. To gratify the public feeling Peter issued a public notice that at half-past 8 o’clock, there would be a bonfire in the field behind the Barracks, in celebration of the victory; at the same time, Peter expressed the hope that this time private property would not be damaged. At Peter’s own expense he provided 20 faggots, a load of whin bushes and 6 tar barrows for the bonfire, which soon illuminated the whole neighbourhood, amidst the cheers of the thousands assembled. By 10 o’clock, after a profuse discharge of rockets and other fireworks, the ground behind the Barracks was cleared in perfect order. A large number of people on their way to the Cornhill, halted before the house of the mayor, in Museum Street, and after three hearty cheers for the victory at Sebastopol, gave three more hearty cheers for his worship, Peter Long. The Ipswich Journal and Suffolk Chronicle – Saturday, 15th September 1855.
NEW POST OFFICE
At a meeting at the Town Hall on the 8th November 1855, Peter Long chaired his last meeting as Mayor of Ipswich. The meeting was to consider a plan for erecting a new post office on the site of the present one in King Street – top of Queen Street and was attended by numerous gentlemen connected with the banking, mercantile, manufacturing, and professional interests of the town. Mr. Woolnough had prepared the plans for the meeting. The gentlemen attending were of the opinion that the present site of the post office, plus a large adjourning shop and house occupied by Mr. Blowers, a china dealer and Mr. Clarke, a boot and shoemaker, was suitable and convenient for the business of the town. The offer of Mr. Pretty to purchase the site for £1,100 was accepted. The plans for a new post office were also approved by Mr. Neal, the Surveyor General of the Post Office and was of the opinion that the Government would not object to take the post office on a lease at a rental of £80 per annum. However, the inevitable result if the capital needed was not quickly raised would be that the post office authorities will remove the post office to Brook Street, which had been keenly considered an option. It was decided that the sum of £2,500 should be raised, in shares of £10 each, for the purpose of carrying out the foregoing resolution. The old post office would be knocked down and the new building would be of white brick, stone facings with a rusticated basement, the windows being finished with handsome stone cornices with a loggia in the centre. The new building would be capable of holding up to twenty persons. At the end of Peter’s last duty as Mayor of Ipswich he subscribed to five shares.
Images courtesy of Mr. A. Gilbert – Ipswich Borough Council.
www.ancestry.co.uk used for census returns, births, marriages, deaths, probates, military records and other historical online records.
Members of the Council – in and since 1835 – Mr. B.P. Grimsey – July 1892.